Model Cars Magazine Forum

Built from this kit

DSC09093.thumb.JPG.40842da263c72a6206f9f9df4cb9e798.JPG

its a file by ollie vizzle on cults and took 24 hours to print all the parts using both printers. I could print the glass but its a lot of hassle and never turns out great anyway so i'll cut up some computer cases i was given by the local repair shop. crystal clear, flexible and free, what could be better for a tight fisted scotsman. On friday at 10 am this was a grey goo and on saturday i started priming the cab and bed. The cab had some heavy teyuring that looks like wood grain on the top and sides so it took a fair few round of filler primer and sanding. Luckily i could dry the paint faster using the 3d printers cure station so i got most of it done so that this morning i could move onto red primer. I dusted the body parts with tamiya dull red too deliveratelly keeping it patchy. Then i dusted white primer over the bumpers but kept it light so red was showing. Then it was onto the body. I wanted to try the salt method to weather it but i over did the salt and found that salt melts in duplicolour!! pita! I found this out after the various near empty tins of duplicolour yellows went on and to my horror duplicolour gloss is water proof so the salt that hadn't melted didn't start disolving until i sanded everything with wet 240 grit. I need to do more arounf the windows but its a  patina build so i dont need to worry too much. I have swapped the seats for a pair of buckets by blackbox on cults. I also swapped the wheels but my attempt at making dark gold using gunmetal and clear orange turned green so i'll be repaiting the centres. The rest is pretty mcuh ready to go so I could be finished in a couple of days. I have a load of weathering stuff i want to try out on this so there is more to come

DSC09097.thumb.JPG.76f5c64ee2aa8ec7a0114ab24ec49674.JPGDSC09099.thumb.JPG.d2d989b9bfc0df1a4c09af0b5c0b1b2b.JPGDSC09094.thumb.JPG.79f182e10f537fa61ea7f786666a9946.JPGDSC09095.thumb.JPG.ddb7a5075b44101774bdd8a8b0bac6e2.JPGDSC09096.thumb.JPG.adb1efff233a152dacd38c6d4183d6ef.JPGDSC09098.thumb.JPG.eeb4c4ace997ae3abf641e2e57a028f9.JPG

• Like 3

3 hours ago, slusher said:

You have a good start on your service truck.  Are you building a 72 Chevy?      cold not make it out..

its a 69 i think, thats what the file called it anyway but i cant tell the years apart myself

7 hours ago, stitchdup said:

its a 69 i think, thats what the file called it anyway but i cant tell the years apart myself

Can you post a pic of the front Les? From the pics, It looks like a '67/'68 to me but not a really good pic to see for sure.

1967-1972.png

Edited by Can-Con
  • Like 1

Did an experiment with the motana chrome spray and some c1 powder on dome rims and other parts. Gonna be changing the wheels to some with less offset cos these ones stick out too much. The paint experiment looks not too bad, more like bbs radinox stainless rims than chrome but its another tool in the box. And I printed out some slosh tubs as the back of the brakes dont have much detail so rather than spend time sorting them i did the tubs to hide them. The wheel on the right has the chrome paint and c1 powder, the other is just the paint. Since it worked on the wheels i tried it over plasticote aircraft aluminum and it turned out great. The firewall, front panel and tubs were done with this method and i think if i'd done more prep on the firewall it would be chrome finished

DSC09100.JPG

DSC09101.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stitchdup said:

i think its 69/70, theres not much detail behind the centre bar

DSC09103.JPG

Yea, kinda I guess. 🤨 , , Not really something I'd be happy with myself. Looks like whoever did the program did it from memory,,  but if it's good to you that's what matters.

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

Yea, kinda I guess. 🤨 , , Not really something I'd be happy with myself. Looks like whoever did the program did it from memory,,  but if it's good to you that's what matters.

I should have got a pic before i swamped it in paint, my red primer was much thicker than i expected and i lost a lot of lettering and detail. If I'd known how thick it was i could have skipped the filler primer layers on the grille. But then the file is sold as a custom truck too, rather than a stock one so I wasn't expecting it to be accurate. Its got enough detail to be a pleasant build and give a nice enough model but if i was building something more detailed i would start with a kit but this is fine to mess about with weathering stuff and experiment without having to strip a kit. There are seperate lenses to print for the grille but I'm not going to bother. I've got another crew cab file that much more detailed but the body on its too thin for me to print sucessfully but until i remove the supports it looks great. If i could get it to print I'd have all the various bed options and a few custom chassis as that file has a lot in it extra. The biggest bonus with this is it cost me £23 total to print the first one, the next one cost £3 because i already bought the file. I just finished curing this c60 and its a much nicer body but still has innacuracies but i find the majority of bodies do and if they dont they just dont rescale very well. The chassisfor the c60 is drying after its alcohol wash so I'll get it cured in the morning. Its a simplified kit but worth a bit more effort than the c10 is getting.

DSC09105.JPG

DSC09104.JPG

• Like 1

I completely overdid the weathering on the cab so its soaking in alcohol for an hour to strip it. It would have been just as easy to print another but this gives me the chance to scribe the doors and give the roof some shape. If the roof goes well i'll probably try and some shape to the hood too as its also flat. I'll have to start away from the back edge as reshaping it will lose the vent detail on the scuttle. Luckily i have plenty of alcohol on hand from cleaning prints. 

• 2 weeks later...

second go at the paint. I wanted an old faded paint so after priming and painting as normal i scuffed it up with a 1500 sanding sponge and brush painted on vallejo's faded yellow with no effort at an even or smooth job. once this had dried enough i used a 600 sponge to flat it down then the 1500 again so some of the patchy red primer and deeper yellows were showing through the top paint. As it sits now the glass is in but not got pics yet as it needs a little clean up before i give it all another light coat of matt clear. I've got a little more weathering to do once its all together and a couple small bits of trim and then its just glue the body down and the wheels on. the interior isn't actually crooked either, just loosely together for the pic

DSC09126.JPG

DSC09127.JPG

DSC09128.JPG

Edited by stitchdup