Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 Mercury Comet Cyclone GT

mrmike

Another project that I had started work on-'67 Merc Cyclone GT. To be built as a second day car with wide Goodyears and Cragar SS mags and painted with Tamiya TS-11 Maroon.

Cyclone01.JPG

Cyclone02.JPG

Cyclone03.JPG

Cyclone04.JPG

Cyclone05.JPG

Cyclone06.JPG

• Like 7

I started some assembly on the chassis. I assembled the rear end and left it in the chassis overnight to harden and then I'll paint everything with Tamiya TS-29 Semi Gloss Black.

Cyclone07.JPG

Cyclone08.JPG

Cyclone09.JPG

• Like 2

The chassis so far and I guess it is about as complete as it going to be. The steering wheel in the kit looked like it came from a NASCAR kit and so I dug into my parts box and found this and it needed some holes drilled into the spokes for a little more pizazz. Since this is a "day 2" car, it looks at home.

Cyclone13.JPG

Cyclone14.JPG

Cyclone15.JPG

Thanks Ricky!

I have been detailing many things in this kit and I am not done yet. The 390 CI engine is being worked on. I found some chrome valve covers in my parts box and added them to the engine. The kit instructions wanted me to paint their valve covers and I opted not too.

Cyclone16.JPG

Cyclone17.JPG

Cyclone18.JPG

• Like 2

Looking good so far.

I'd like to give you an FYI though, those are small block valve covers and shaped differently that the 390 valve covers. Do with the info as you wish.

I had the same issue and used BMF on the kit covers.

I like the color choice BTW

I wanted some valve covers that had the printing on them that said "Powered By Ford" and those where the only ones I had in my parts box.  I know they are wrong, but they are close to what I want.  I have changed my mind about the color and maroon is out.  I have decided on Tamiya TS-8 Italian Red instead.

01.JPG

• Like 1

I finished the 390 CI engine minus the air cleaner decal and installed it into the chassis. The chassis is finished with all parts painted and installed. Now to start on the interior.

Cyclone19.JPG

Cyclone20.JPG

Cyclone21.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Selecting color can be difficult at times. For the Cyclone, I thought of dark green, an assortment of blues, silver, maroon and red. I went with red based on a picture I saw on Google Images. I found some trash on the rear deck which will be cleaned up Then I need to paint the interior roof Tamiya TS-8 Italian Red.

Cyclone22.JPG

Cyclone23.JPG

Cyclone24.JPG

• Like 2

Looking very nice. I love this era Ford/Mercury mid sized. Find the chassis work especially interesting.  Have a bunch of original AMT’s and this chassis looks like it may be a good upgrade for those kits.  

Thanks Len, Carl and David!  I have liked the Mercury version better.  Maybe it was a higher class of car or something.  Mercurys, like Buicks may have a lower HP rating, but they show how fast they are at the strip!

Well, my good camera took a dump and stopped working today. I went and got my wife's camera and she left the batteries in it for over 5 years. I had to clean the contacts very well. The wheels and backing plates are one and I will have to shorten the metal axle for the rear axle housing. There must be a guy in China who pumps out these things all one length as I have to trim them! I went and found my chrome tubing and made some chrome exhaust tips.

Cyclone25.JPG

Cyclone26.JPG

Cyclone27.JPG

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...