Model Cars Magazine Forum

L A Dart wheelstander

magicmustang

Had this on my shelf of doom for years, was about 3/4's done but never tried to do the red stripes. Got a set of full decals with stripes from R2 but was too concerned to try. Finally sat down and started decaling. Took a lot of Future to get most to lay down. The front of the roof/windshield was difficult, but the front end stripe was impossible. Finally gave up trying to get it to lay down, masked the front end off and spray painted it red. Not great but it is done. Comments and suggestions are welcomed.

L A Dart front Jan 2024.JPG

L A Dart bottom Jan 2024.JPG

L A Dart Jan 2024.JPG

Wild Bill.jpg

Edited by magicmustang
  • Like 10

I've had mine sitting around waiting to put decals on too. With the horrible weather we're having (my workbench is in the garage) I decided to sit at the dining room table and attempt the decals. What a nightmare! Not looking good at all but I've finished. Now waiting to trim and do a touch-up with paint but I don't expect it to look a whole lot better.

btw, your finished model looks great! Excellent work!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TonyK said:

I've had mine sitting around waiting to put decals on too. With the horrible weather we're having (my workbench is in the garage) I decided to sit at the dining room table and attempt the decals. What a nightmare! Not looking good at all but I've finished. Now waiting to trim and do a touch-up with paint but I don't expect it to look a whole lot better.

btw, your finished model looks great! Excellent work!

Yep, some trimming, a lot of decal set and some touch up paint. Good luck on yours.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Mopar2 said:

Very nice clean build...I always thought this car as a cool car to build.Your better off spraying the red stripes though...

Thank you. After doing the decal stripes, I agree that masking and spraying them might be better. I have one molded in red that masking the white stripes might be easier, maybe!  

• 5 weeks later...

Isn't it strange when a box stock build can be as challenging as a full custom job? You've done a great job on this despite the detours you had to make to deal with the stripes. I feel your pain - it must be something to do with wheelstanders! 

Years ago I built the re-issued Hemi Under Glass.  When sliding the Hemi Under Glass decals onto the body, they froze exactly where they sat on the body - no amount of water or decal solutions could get them to move!  Never had it happen before or since but, far out, what a demoralising event!

The important thing is, you have a completed model of an iconic car on your shelf.  You didn't let it beat you. I hadn't seen one before and after seeing how well yours came out, I need to look for one!

Cheers

Alan

• Thanks 1