Model Cars Magazine Forum

cleaning old car models

Hi everyone, I have inherited about 50 old car models from a neighbor. They are all built. They were kept in his garage for years and have about 20 layers of dust on them. HAHA !!!

I have thought of using a damp brush on them. 

Can anyone suggest another method of cleaning them up. They were built in the 60's and 70's using a brush and a lot of polishing on the bodies. They are shinier than I can get with spraying.

Thanks, George

I would start with the air brush cleaning Hanjo suggested. I have also used a soft feather duster also. A damp Q-Tip is another thought for some places that may have been contaminated with any moisture in the past. Be careful of getting any decals wet until you know if they were clear coated.   

Hi, yes, I will post pics when I clean some up. Also, I will post some with the dust.

He won some awards in the Northeast. His name is Neal Weber. He served in the Air Force and worked in some missile silos where he fell and broke his neck. He did recover, although his movement was limited and had a stiff neck and back.

Great guy and fun to talk to !! His stories were at times scary an to what went on in the sixties.

Again, thanks to all !!

George

Your not going to believe this but I use windshield washer fluid shot through an air brush, then blow dry with air only out of brush. The cheaper the better for fluid as it's got less cleaner in it.

greg

• Like 1