Model Cars Magazine Forum

Grandpa's Soxs and Martin Cuda Glue Bomb

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Great project Ace, sad to know that something is stopping you from moving forward?

Well the thing thats taking time away from this is life, other kits, and other projects. Oh and I forgot... this forum, all of the other projects fill me with inspiration and like anything take up time.

Edited by FoMoCo66
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2024 at 11:35 AM, FoMoCo66 said:

What tape work's best for you at a somewhat cheap price. 

Unfortunately, this is one area where it is not advisable to skimp on tape. Tamiya tape is undoubtedly the best on the market to prevent bleeding. That being said, although it may be too late at this point, is to spray the area along the edge of the tape with clear, or if doing a two tone spray another light coat of the first color along the tape edge. That seals the edge of the tape and helps prevent bleed through.

Nice looking build, Sox & Martin were, and still are, my favorite all-time drag team.

It’s looking fantastic Ace and it’s really cool that you, your dad and your grandfather all built/build!  My father never built plastic kits but he did give me lessons in applying /sanding putty and gave me tips on rattle can spraying to help me hone my model building skills.  He also gave me many hand tools to add to my arsenal from his and my grandfather’s toolboxes.  Lastly he spent plenty of cash on supplies and kits for me over the years in support of my hobby.  Dad and Grandpa have passed but I still feel them near every time I use this files and side cutters etc!  
Your Grandfather had good taste in serious muscle too!

On 1/26/2024 at 3:55 AM, FoMoCo66 said:

I just heard from the Luka Cee Chanel review of the kit on YouTube that white was the rarest one, I also know that if it wasn't white it was probably orange and those were all in the Sox and Martin version. But that signed copy is awesome, never get rid of that kit.

This kit is not that rare in white, it has been reissued several times in different versions both as the Sox & Martin version and a Pro Street version from Jo-Han and Seville, and Testors issued this kit as a 71 'Cuda with metal wheels in the HSO series (All original parts are in that kit too) and most of the later issues are molded in white and the majority of the ones I have in my stash are white plastic...but I have seen this kit in both orange and green plastic.
Unfortunately after the Testors issue the tooling seems to have disappeared together with the other kits they issued in the HSO series, I don't know if Testors bought left over stock from Jo-Han/Seville/Okey Spaulding or if they had it molded somewhere, because Testors did not mold kits themselves.

However, it's a nice well proportioned kit and for it's time quite good (first issued in 1971), and as I said earlier, it's one of my favourite kits and I have several of them.

So keep up the good work.

Edited by Force

46 minutes ago, Force said:

This kit is not that rare in white, it has been reissued several times in different versions both as the Sox & Martin version and a Pro Street version from Jo-Han and Seville, and Testors issued this kit as a 71 'Cuda with metal wheels in the HSO series (All original parts are in that kit too) and most of the later issues are molded in white and the majority of the ones I have in my stash are white plastic...but I have seen this kit in both orange and green plastic.
Unfortunately after the Testors issue the tooling seems to have disappeared together with the other kits they issued in the HSO series, I don't know if Testors bought left over stock from Jo-Han/Seville/Okey Spaulding or if they had it molded somewhere, because Testors did not mold kits themselves.

However, it's a nice well proportioned kit and for it's time quite good (first issued in 1971), and as I said earlier, it's one of my favourite kits and I have several of them.

So keep up the good work.

Thank you much!

I did get some more progress in this week. I painted the red sides and the center stripes. I did mask off the roof so I could get a better line along the c pillar and it ended up turning out a lot better.  I've also got some nice slixx decals to go along with this kit! The little blue side stripe in the center stripe will be accented by a white stripe that comes with the slixx decal sheet. I am very happy with the way this paint job came out.20240326_065250.jpg.010d9f5b5a9a9cec453549334f5a3635.jpg20240326_065321.jpg.5e2dc0f8f16cabacd4236f9397e13469.jpg20240329_212020.thumb.jpg.e227105a5b72fb0a03bc75e04fc2c81e.jpg

FMC66

• Like 2

Here is mine built years ago sometime in the 90's, long before I had internet and I did not have any references at all other than the Jo-Han boxart, everything except for the lettering is painted.
I will build a more accurate version sometime in the future as I have several more of this kit.

SoxMartinCuda7102.jpg.f1023ab9e1f7b7dae7c746357a94d66c.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I got some more progress in this week. The slixx decals are on and cleared over. The hood still needs done.20240408_072813.thumb.jpg.e9e8d43fafdce682515131944167f6e0.jpg

20240408_072746.thumb.jpg.c3bb38947de45a4d6a2a0d3fd0db881f.jpg

The Decals went on amazing and the clear went on really good over the decals but a little rough in some places.20240408_072752.thumb.jpg.0fc1d38ea8749d564d812af75373b94b.jpg

A good look at the completed engine bay.20240408_072758.thumb.jpg.3197071f5894284799d5fba848ab53f2.jpg

This was also the first model I've ever used BMF on. I now understand the raving about this stuff.20240408_072822.thumb.jpg.9952b25870232d86261a8a1a578ce959.jpg

The front wheels are from the amt 57 chevy. They match the original wheels pretty well since I couldn't find another original front wheel. The tires are from the parts box.20240408_072830.thumb.jpg.8add0f7240d1ec1807d4847571d65b16.jpg

Thanks for looking.

FMC66

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Welp, this happened.20240414_172423.thumb.jpg.007030de1ea4ef3fb9c3d177a9e80550.jpg

For some odd reason the paint crinkled up only over on the passengers side when I applied clear. 

I don't have any purple pond, and have no experience with using it so I don't pan on stripping it and just plan on dealing with it. Maybe some time in the future I'll fix it. But not now. Anyway it's not that bad I've had it happen before and it was way bigger.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 1

This is not always ideal but it would be possible that after a few weeks of waiting for the clear coat to completely harden, you could do a light sanding and add a coat or two of clear.  Most of the time when paint or clear coat cracks, it is due to paint that has not fully cured (apart from the incompatibility of course).  The hood is a separate part so this would be a fairly easy fix and the fact that the kit is white plastic is an advantage in case the sanding is too deep.

It's just a small detail and your model is super beautiful, your Grandpa would be proud I'm sure! 👍