Model Cars Magazine Forum

Grandpa's Soxs and Martin Cuda Glue Bomb

This is a kit that I inherited from my Grandpa. In the lot of my dad's and Grandpa's cars that was sitting at my grandparents basement sense the late 90s. I found this (the tires are from the parts bin I just used them for a moch up (im missing those and one front wheel)).20240124_160912.thumb.jpg.200afbbe825091413c04317ff1e392e2.jpg

A plus about this car is that it was never painted. After doing some research it seams as though the molded in white version was the rarest (correct me if I'm wrong). But the decals were still there so I removed them with micro sol. The windows were a PAIN to get out the back was the easiest, the front took some prying and the drivers side a pillar came off with the windshield but some glue fixed that.20240124_203538.thumb.jpg.a137b8c02f5321de809b1df560daf59e.jpg

I was also missing the rear axle so I used a Dana 60 rear end, I don't know what kit it came out of though. Here it is in primer.20240124_203456.thumb.jpg.86f375671e98b17e54ddc7cc970a4d6b.jpg

The interior was also missing the roll bar so I made one under the candle light(and heat😁). I also sprayed it with rustoleum camo flat black and I'm planing on putting pledge on the dash, seats, and door cards for a vinyl look.20240125_144137.thumb.jpg.d9deab6c9961a8c9cace30431c274274.jpg

Advice is welcome. Thanks for looking. 

FMO66

• Like 2

That's the old JoHan kit ... a great kit in it's time and still is ! I had a few and Ronnie signed one for my son and myself back in '92 .Every one that I had was molded in white plastic.Possibly the later re-issues of the kit (Pro Street) were molded in different colors

S&Mjohan.jpeg

Edited by Scott Eriksen
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Scott Eriksen said:

That's the old JoHan kit ... a great kit in it's time and still is ! I had a few and Ronnie signed one for my son and myself back in '92 .Every one that I had was molded in white plastic.Possibly the later re-issues of the kit (Pro Street) were molded in different colors

S&Mjohan.jpeg

I just heard from the Luka Cee Chanel review of the kit on YouTube that white was the rarest one, I also know that if it wasn't white it was probably orange and those were all in the Sox and Martin version. But that signed copy is awesome, never get rid of that kit.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, James2 said:

Always enjoy saving a old classic. Why Pledge?

It's like putting a clear coat on it, but not as shiny. He wants a shiny vinyl dash and seat covers like they were Armor Alled. 

13 hours ago, FoMoCo66 said:

I just heard from the Luka Cee Chanel review of the kit on YouTube that white was the rarest one, I also know that if it wasn't white it was probably orange and those were all in the Sox and Martin version. But that signed copy is awesome, never get rid of that kit.

My S&M kits were all white plastic,,,and also the 2 Pro Street re-issues I bought a few years later were also molded in white ,I got my S&M kits at Avenel Hobbies back in '92 (no longer in business) ,Randy the owner had invited Ronnie to make an appearance at the shop (this is when Ronnie was touring with his Pro-mod 64 Comet) .Randy had about 50 of the JoHan S&M Cudas stacked on a table ,,pretty good crowd ,,,Ronnies hauler took up most of the parking lot though,,,lol it was a small shop right on Rt1 ,,,good crowd though ..I remember it like yesterday. I also had 2 of the JoHan S&M Superbirds ,,they were also in white

Hi again 

I have a question 

How would I go about fixing the bottom windshield sill. It cracked when I was getting the windshield out. As you can see I tried using bondo glazing buddy, I don't know what I was thinking. The bottom one came out with the fire wall so I'm good there.20240126_220721.thumb.jpg.6e09f0c53d280c1178e6187039cac672.jpg

FMC66

My favourite Jo-Han kit.
Jo-Han used whatever color plastic they had on stock, white, orange and green is what I have seen, I have several of this kit in different versions and most are white and I think I have one orange.

11 hours ago, FoMoCo66 said:

Hi again 

I have a question 

How would I go about fixing the bottom windshield sill. It cracked when I was getting the windshield out. As you can see I tried using bondo glazing buddy, I don't know what I was thinking. The bottom one came out with the fire wall so I'm good there.20240126_220721.thumb.jpg.6e09f0c53d280c1178e6187039cac672.jpg

FMC66

Cut out the damaged area and glue in a piece of Evergreen sheet styrene ,you can get their assortment pack,sheets of different thickness and a couple black sheets in the last one I got ,then contour sand to match, you can apply a skim coat of putty and feather it in with the rest of the cowl

16 minutes ago, Scott Eriksen said:

Cut out the damaged area and glue in a piece of Evergreen sheet styrene ,you can get their assortment pack,sheets of different thickness and a couple black sheets in the last one I got ,then contour sand to match, you can apply a skim coat of putty and feather it in with the rest of the cowl

I think I will go with Roosters method because I don't want to Butcher the body anymore than it is. 

• 1 month later...

This project is still postponed but I had some time to get the top painted. I used rustoleum metalic blue that was lying around in my garage. The only thing I'm not super happy is the c pillar line I got some bleeding. That might be because of my tape which is just blue painters tape. What tape work's best for you at a somewhat cheap price. 

20240309_182529.thumb.jpg.9892616ef1a749a34567d069c69e822b.jpg20240310_103358.thumb.jpg.d4566911eb9136376c06d3da0c44e360.jpg

Thanks for your comments. 

FMC66