Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius Golden Commandos altered wheel base Plymouth

fordf-100

I recently finished this 65 Plymouth altered wheelbase from the Moebius kit. I think these are really nice kits with a couple building options and some good parts left for the parts box! For the most part everything fit really well, some fit issues were my fault from not enough test fitting. This was a fun build! The grille is very finely engraved, I tried several different ways to get a black wash on it from very thin paint to ink to Microsol black wash. Any tips on doing this better would be awesome cause I have a couple others to build. The worst part was the decals, every decal tore no matter how careful I was, they came off the backing very easy but if I tried to slide it into place on the car they tore, that’s why the one side lettering is not positioned very well, I was afraid of tearing it more. Let me know what you guys think, all comments welcome!

IMG_0603.jpeg

IMG_0604.jpeg

IMG_0605.jpeg

IMG_0606.jpeg

IMG_0607.jpeg

IMG_0608.jpeg

• Like 10

For grille detail, I use Tamiya Panel Line Accent Color (Black) It's Item 87131. I apply and it finds the recessed spots and remains. I quickly wipe the high spots with my finger. A Q tip helps in corners. You might try it first on a junk -parts box - grille first. I Use it on wheels and engine intake manifolds as well.

• Like 1

Turned out great in spite of the decal dramas Phillip.Β 

I've had too many decal issues to trust them without testing first. If there's a decal on the sheet that I won't be using I'll test that first. If any doubts show up I have a bottle of Microscale Superfilm (I bought it in the '80s and it's still perfectly clear and useable!) that I brush over the whole decal sheet. There are other newer products that can be used but bear in mind the decals have to be carefully cut around because now the whole sheet is carrier film.

11 hours ago, M W Elky said:

Looks great the awb mopars are my all time favorites. I really hope mine comes out this good thanks for the decal tip . Did you put any dish soap in the decal water ?

I've never tried dish soap in the water, does it help the decal slide around on the model better? I will give it a try!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fordf-100 said:

I've never tried dish soap in the water, does it help the decal slide around on the model better? I will give it a try!!!

Yeah I think so I also keep the water hot and hold the decals with a tweezersΒ 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2024 at 4:57 AM, fordf-100 said:

Yup, a little slicker so less friction while you manuever them.Β 

15 hours ago, wrenchr said:

Yup, a little slicker so less friction while you manuever them.Β 

Does it have any effect on clear coating over the decals? I usually clear over decals so they don’t lift later on.

6 hours ago, fordf-100 said:

Does it have any effect on clear coating over the decals? I usually clear over decals so they don’t lift later on.

As long as you let them setup good and work out all the air and liquid. I think you will be fine, Ive had no issues and you know with nascar builds there are lots of decals. Thats where I draw a lot of my experiance.