Model Cars Magazine Forum

Just to let you know that Wylde Parnelle and I will finally meet face to face at NNL East! We will be set up! There will be new stuff to see plus many of the usual suspects in his line. For years, I have bugged him about doing parts for a 1970 Malibu 400. A friend in college had one and schooled me on it! I hope to build the one he had! As a tease, Wylde is allowing me to share these shots!

IMG_2132.jpeg.b2ea04905d2f55893ddc48b2d8b453e2.jpegIMG_2130.jpeg.897731814f33c0a5e9735bd0f3ac4e93.jpeg

• Like 4

Test fitting nearly complete. I will post images as soon as I have one that worth showing, still ironing out small details. The Malibu 400 kit will include a flat hood, non SS front grille, non SS rear bumper, Rally Wheels and a correct air Cleaner. Price coming soon.

Edited by Wylde
  • Like 3

I believe you could order instrumentation. My friend had it in his car. The tach had a redline that matched the 400 BBC. I’m looking into that to confirm.

Update: Yes, Sport Instrumentation was available with a V8 on Coupes and Convertibles. I recall my friend telling me that he had everything the SS had except the high insurance!  Lol! I knew he didn’t have a L78! I believe his was a L35 with a snorkeled Aircleaner. His car also had buckets, console and a 4 speed.

Edited by George Bojaciuk
  • Like 1

Just a little historical humor. Back in the early eighties, I saw a ‘69 Chevelle. Really nice, low mileage car. Buckets, 4 speed and a 427. Guy at the show said it was factory. I balked! Never heard of such a thing. He was asking $5k. No way, I thought! In later years it turned out that it was a legit COPO car. Went for stupid money. Second time was when my friend offered me a Yenko Stinger Vega Wagon, in red. New turbo in the back in a box. Get this…with a parts car! All for $100. I balked! I never second guessed from that point on! Went back and looked at the Malibu 400 registry and realized what a rare car my college buddy had! 
I may know a lot about muscle cars but it fascinates me how much more I learn every year!

• Like 1

This talk of offering the Chevelle Malibu 400 conversion reminds me of a customer's car from that era. He never let me see under the hood, but the exhaust note caught my interest. We were all trying to dodge the high insurance rates of the time for anyone under 30 and driving anything but a 6-cylinder car let alone something with any power. He told me he had to order his since the local dealers didn't seem to even know about it. His insurance agent insured it as a Malibu two door hardtop without any consideration as to what was under the hood. The guy wasn't a crazy driver, and I don't recall him ever really getting on it. Neat looking silver sleeper. 

25 minutes ago, George Bojaciuk said:

If you do a 6, you will need a sweep dash! I’m chatting with Wylde on that issue currently!

That would be nice.  I thought cutting the speedometer area out of a ‘70 Impala dash and fitting it in.  I think any non ‘70 SS Chevelle would have the strip speedometer?  The round gauges were an SS thing, I think. 

Edited by Rob Hall

46 minutes ago, George Bojaciuk said:

It was actually an option if you had a V8.

Speaking of non-SS Chevelles, I had not heard of the Malibu 400, googled and turned up pics of a convertible w/ the strip speedo, column shift automatic, bench seat, and factory stripes.  Wild...

Edited by Rob Hall

It was brought to my attention that the AMT 70 Chevelle SS grille does not fit good at all and a lot fiddling is required to get it is so I decided to make a complete grille area replacement. Now the builder will only need to cut off and save the front bumper. Test fitting is complete and modeling is complete. These will be available very soon. I will offer a SS replacement as well.image.png.40605083ab180201ba0fa3185c42f1b9.png

the test blank that broke during my test but it went in instantly. I considered tightening up the gap but then decided against it because the paint will fill that gap.

image.png.127560015558be52d4d7e2a86a28b7a4.png

You may have to redesign this when the John Wick kit comes out. I believe that Steve G. said that the grille fit was "improved" or something like that. Not sure if that means that the nose was modified, the grille was modified, or both.

On 1/30/2024 at 7:39 PM, George Bojaciuk said:

Just to let you know that Wylde Parnelle and I will finally meet face to face at NNL East! We will be set up! There will be new stuff to see plus many of the usual suspects in his line. For years, I have bugged him about doing parts for a 1970 Malibu 400. A friend in college had one and schooled me on it! I hope to build the one he had! As a tease, Wylde is allowing me to share these shots!

IMG_2132.jpeg.b2ea04905d2f55893ddc48b2d8b453e2.jpegIMG_2130.jpeg.897731814f33c0a5e9735bd0f3ac4e93.jpeg

Oh baby! I bought some products from Wylde and love what he does. He's filling in some voids of unique parts and he's a pleasure to deal with. Highly recommended. Can't wait for the Chevelle pieces. Great job guys.

On 1/30/2024 at 7:39 PM, George Bojaciuk said:

Nicely done. It would be nice to have the SS bumper with the black rubber panel separate. Just saying.