Model Cars Magazine Forum

I can't explain why I did this but I opened the box and couldn't stop myself. It's another AMT Trailmobile Snap kit. I've already got about 8 projects on the go, I used to be one at a time! 

The rear suspension has fought me every step of the way on this. Rather than just move the axles closer to correct the appearance I decided to shorten the subframe too, what a nightmare. Nothing is straight on the rear tandems, from the slide rails to the axles, there's, half a mil difference on the axles alone. 

Had to fab a roller shutter door because I need the doors for one of the reefer versions I've got, one has a short shot on the door. I just scored a piece of sheet to form the slats and added straight pins for coachbolts. 

At least it's sitting square now. I've got to stop opening boxes though. 

IMG_20240204_115036313~2.jpg

IMG_20240204_114740059~2.jpg

IMG_20240204_115024712.jpg

• Like 5

Haha, I think you do have a problem, Steve.

It would have been still fine if you said you had 7 projects on-going, but we all know the number “8” isn’t normal. :) 

I need you to stop opening kits and stay away from anything that says AMT, ETRL, or Revell!  🤪

BTW, your trailer looks very proper!  Nice job, indeed!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/5/2024 at 4:21 AM, cifenet said:

Haha, I think you do have a problem, Steve.

It would have been still fine if you said you had 7 projects on-going, but we all know the number “8” isn’t normal. :) 

I need you to stop opening kits and stay away from anything that says AMT, ETRL, or Revell!  🤪

BTW, your trailer looks very proper!  Nice job, indeed!

Thanks mate, pales into insignificance next to your stuff. 

8 is indeed the problem number because if it falls over it becomes:-

Infinity.png.ace2d9b5921fcc163fbd4861c19547e4.png

which is the mathematical symbol for infinity  - and then I'll never get out of this mess!!!!!!

I need to get back on with some of my older jobs, my Google photos is reminding of some from a year ago that are still patiently waiting on the shelf. The shelf looks like a scrapyard at the moment.

Anyway I carved a lock handle and added channels either side. I also dressed the rear of the slide rails using 5mm right angle and some strip cut from sheet to look like the real thing. The kit pieces make a poor attempt at this. I couldn't resist colouring in the rear lights 

DB7398ZD.jpeg.56db6996e122d1ccb971a50402cf4df8.jpeg

IMG_20240204_2227580682.thumb.jpg.3716967c678bbed6259735b97eb9725e.jpg

9 hours ago, Pete68 said:

Nice Steve. Always enjoy your projects bring them on. 

Thanks mate, this kit is so frustrating but looks so good. If things in this hobby were still affordable I would get some better [bigger] wheels and tyres for it but I have to make do with what's given to me.

• Like 1

Got this kit to the paint stage today. Added air hoses for the sliding tandems and a load of marker lights. I can't resist colouring the marker lights, even before paint. I'm happy with this kit now, it's hard work but it looks great id you put the effort in. I'll now have to wait until spring to paint. I mustn't open anymore boxes until afterwards. 

IMG_20240210_222838430~2.jpg

IMG_20240210_222828573~2.jpg

IMG_20240210_222721552~2.jpg

IMG_20240210_222528600~2.jpg

IMG_20240210_222101320~2.jpg

Edited by Rockford
Too many pictures!
  • Like 2

When I looked at this post I found about 30 pictures! Sorry men, I've performed a photo cull. 

Not sure what happened but I've found Google Photos is bundling pictures in threes and fours and when I've picked a picture to load it's loading the whole bundle. That's my excuse anyway!!!! Acting stupid has got me out of trouble a few times. 😁

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/8/2024 at 1:08 PM, Jürgen M. said:

Wow, Rockford, that's a beauty! Nice work! Looks absolutely real! 👍

Thanks Jürgen, it's a real contradiction this kit. The box is beautifully moulded but the underpinnings are utter garbage! It's worth the effort though.