Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Ferrari 250 swb... going down the rabbit hole.

5 hours ago, Allan31 said:

...I was struck at how different the grilles are from one car to another while watching Goodwood.

Kinda depends on whether Guido or Luigi or Carlo did the hammering, how much vino was involved, and how many times the nose has been stuffed and repaired.   :P

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Haha 1

It seems this is the right place to ask this question, but I don't want to highjack Pierres thread.

I want to do a series of the 250GTO with the different bodies, They will be all Lemans cars, starting with the standard body we all know and love.

Screen_Shot_2024-02-01_at_4.58.13_PM.png

I want to these along with it as well.

thumbnail_-_2024-02-16T174648.873.jpeg

I would love to do the 250SW as well but don't know if it could/should be included or is it too much of a stretch. Whatchatink?

Edited by Allan31

23 minutes ago, Allan31 said:

...I would love to do the 250SW as well but don't know if it could/should be included or is it too much of a stretch. Whatchatink?

In reality, the SWB is on pretty much the same chassis (just shortened), with pretty much the same engine, so I'd say it belongs with the rest of 'em.

4 hours ago, Allan31 said:

It seems this is the right place to ask this question, but I don't want to highjack Pierres thread.

I want to do a series of the 250GTO with the different bodies, They will be all Lemans cars, starting with the standard body we all know and love.

Screen_Shot_2024-02-01_at_4.58.13_PM.png

I want to these along with it as well.

thumbnail_-_2024-02-16T174648.873.jpeg

I would love to do the 250SW as well but don't know if it could/should be included or is it too much of a stretch. Whatchatink?

These should keep you busy for a while. You do have a SWB in there as the Breadvan was a re-bodied SWB (chassis 2819GT). The GTO and SWB share chassis as well as the 2400 mm wheelbase. The GTO had more efficient aero than the SWB but they are brothers under the skin.

• 2 weeks later...

The heavy lifting of body mods being done, future updates will be less detailed as the rest of the build will be mostly OOB

We have color on the body and a clear coat that will rest for awhile before polishing (it needs it...) and decals

I built the chassis, which is decent. Thinking it's reasonable availability might make it a good use under resin bodies like the beautiful examples Allan has shown us. I've added a side by side picture with the underside of a Fujimi Ferrari GTO. Not as good but definitely useable.

Good wheels and tires are a must if we want to achieve a better level of realism. Going with Jack Modeling 3D printed units developed for the GTO but using the fronts all around as the deeper/wider rears were not yet used in 1960.

Ferrari 250SWB color.jpg

Ferrari 250SWB chassis1.jpg

Ferrari 250SWB chassis2.jpg

Ferrari 250SWB wheels and tires.jpg

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

Body has received decals and QuickShine sealant coat. Livery is for NART entry at 1960 Le mans. Still some work with glass (with all the body mods...😳) and various trim pieces.

Interior has been finished. Resin seats from Carraramodels, turned metal shifter, 3D printed steering wheel from D.A.B. (the kit wheel is beyond bad) and I made my own instrument dial bezels with thin wire. Roll cage made with 1.5mm Evergreen.

Ferrari 250SWB decals.jpg

Ferrari 250SWB seats.jpg

Ferrari 250SWB cockpit.jpg

Ferrari 250SWB int1.jpg

Ferrari 250SWB int2.jpg

Edited by Pierre Rivard
  • Like 2

Another WOW moment, Pierre. I never thought I would like a yellow Ferrari but yours is fabulous. Love everything you have done so far on this special recreated build. Looks like it came from one of those expensive fancy kit makers.

• Thanks 1

The big stuff takes time but so does the little stuff.

I used the kit parts for tail lamps and front turn signals. The rears were colored using tamiya clear orange and red. I used small wires to make the bezel trim (same idea as the instrument panel dial bezels). Some other lighting elements (see pictures) done with aftermarket parts from my new friends at SpotModel.

Lightweight racing style sliding side glass was scratch built with food container clear plastic.

adding front and rear shots of the body showing all lighting elements in place.

I still have to do the fuel filler and passenger compartment venting scoop. Getting close...

Ferrari 250SWB lamps1.jpg

Ferrari 250SWB lamps2.jpg

Ferrari 250SWB lamps3.jpg

Ferrari 250SWB side glass.jpg

Ferrari 250SWB rear.jpg

Ferrari 250SWB front.jpg

• Like 2

Pierre, those small lamps are so finely created and add so much to the overall build. The body paint came out perfect again like all of your other brush paint jobs. It's astounding the results you always get. The front of the model now looks like the subject matter after your changes to it. If you had left it oob, it would not even look like a Ferrari. Make sure you post here when the final presentation is available at the under-glass forum. 

3 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Pierre, those small lamps are so finely created and add so much to the overall build. The body paint came out perfect again like all of your other brush paint jobs. It's astounding the results you always get. The front of the model now looks like the subject matter after your changes to it. If you had left it oob, it would not even look like a Ferrari. Make sure you post here when the final presentation is available at the under-glass forum. 

Thank you my friend. Because I had my nose so close to it for so long I can see so many defects on it but considering the carnage of the body transformations and all consequences following it... it is pretty good. Still a few bits to do and then posting the finished build.

6 minutes ago, 1959scudetto said:

Very nice, Pierre - spot model has lots of detailing goodies for us car modelers.

So true Helmut. They have reasonable shipping cost and moved stuff quick. Their catalog of goodies is unequaled. 

Last part to be made for this build is the cabin vent scoop. On regular SWB's venting was through the roof (I filled that on the body) and the competition models had the vent through the rear glass. I made the scoop with 0.25 x 1.5 mm Evergreen.

So this one is done. Posting of the "beauty shots" in the showroom section later today.

Ferrari 250SWB vent1.jpg

Ferrari 250SWB vent2.jpg

Ferrari 250SWB vent3.jpg

Ferrari 250SWB FINAL.jpg

• Like 1