Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Porsche kit is this?.......

2 hours ago, Mark said:

I haven't had mine out of the box in awhile, but that looks like a Jimmy Flintstone kit of the James Dean car (can't remember which model he had off the top of my head).

Yup, that's the Flintstone 550 kit, but if it's represented as the "James Dean" car, that's incorrect.

The most obvious deviation from the Dean car is the lack of the louvered access hatches and helmet fairing on the real one. There are multiple other issues with the Flintstone kit.

image.png.45f33ab86bdb24b4b3f37c140b23f9dd.png

EDIT: Even with all its warts, the Flintstone kit can be built into an attractive model.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

15 hours ago, Allan31 said:

Nevermind. It's a Jimmy Flintstone 550 and I need a way-too-expensive Fujimi kit to complete it

Thanks Gramps.

You might be able to try using one of the Revell Competition Porsche kit to complete it.  You can usually find the Revell kits a lot cheaper than the Fujimi kits.  It might take some modifying to make it work, but would be cheaper.

Steve A.

The problem is.....

This Porsche requires 2 of the engine grills on the engine cover, pretty much everything else only had one. I was able to find one for not so crazy bucks but often they are about $100 for some season.

Having them already cast into the body would have made life so much simpler. Maybe I will make a mold....

The problem is.....

This Porsche requires 2 of the engine grills on the engine cover, pretty much everything else only had one. I was able to find one for not so crazy bucks but often they are about $100 for some season.

Having them already cast into the body would have made life so much simpler. Maybe I will make a mold....

The only glitch with the Revell competition kit is the headlamps.  One piece, plated, poor detail.  They were done that way for the stock version, no clear lenses and a flat piece of clear stock to make the windshield "glass".  Trying to fit a flat piece of clear styrene into the stock windshield frame is probably why built stock ones are seldom seen.  Other than those two things, the original stock one was a decent kit, especially in its day.