Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lowering model cars and trucks

That chassis has a low stance out of the box. However it could be lower. When I was doing mine, the points on the frame where the rear axle sets can be relieved of some material to raise the axle. On the front I removed the spindles and moved them up to lower the front. I’ll try to get pictures as this has been put on the back burner temporarily. 

• Like 1

As Brian mentioned the metal axels can be a pain to work around when altering the suspension. I would suggest not using the metal axels at all. Depending on the wheels that you are using find a material of the proper diameter to fit into the wheel backs. In the past I have found that using everything from shortened kit's metal axels to using small metal brads that you can buy at Home Depot. There are other sources of course and these are just two maybes. 

I’m using the metal axle in the rear only because there is no reason no to unless it won’t work with your wheels. The front doesn’t need the steel axle. The spindles will need to be modified for the lower ride height and will be pins of some material and sized to fit the wheels used. 

This is one of those places where some knowledge of how things work in the real world can be very helpful, and if that knowledge is absent, it's also a great opportunity to get some.

Much of what I learned early on about real machines, I learned as a kid building models.

Lacking the interwebs and Foogle way back then, it took some serious digging to find a lot of answers.

Today anything you want to learn is just a few keystrokes away.

Just remember not to accept the first result Foogle vomits up, and that a lot of info on the web is garbage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1