Model Cars Magazine Forum

1973 Porsche 917/10 Can Am

Starter resin & brass kit in 1/43rd scale.   Most Starter kits are curbside but this is one of the few "full detail" kits they offered. 

As you can see there is still a good amount of clean-up required after removing the thin flash in the main openings.

u3WatJU.jpg

This structure has to be cut out too.

F2RKHO3.jpg

The "full detail" section is basically one part and the removable engine cover.

IYTXv2b.jpg

Kind of interesting how they cast it with the steel axle in place.

u0RF4kn.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The engine cover does not fit well; I guess they figured most people would display it off the car (on the included stand).  The panel lines on both sides look about like this, but at different angles… and the sides are much narrower than the tub.  The leading edge had to be addressed too as it didn't line up or allow the opening for the fan to be centered over the fan.  (Shifting the chassis is an option, but I figured getting the body set first was the better option.)

X9cUmwR.jpg

I used sheet styrene to fill in the needed material and modify the panel lines.  Even though I raised the engine cover when I widened it so that the leading edge matched the body, I still had to add material to the top of it outboard of the fairings so the body would flow smoothly. 

F01GrxE.jpg

HNBJYDD.jpg

1q3NX5H.jpg

HUHX1iy.jpg

First coat of white primer to see how it looks.

Oc82Tqn.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

The screw holes in the front section of the body that attach it to the chassis & engine were reworked so the chassis could be moved rearward to compensate for the material I added to the leading edge of the engine cover and make the fan line up with the opening.

idF2A9l.jpg

I started painting the engine and surrounding area, but there are still more parts to fit and they don't fit positively or symmetrically.

IWFbZaz.jpg

SHQEb1T.jpg

• Like 4

I built that kit a few years ago.  It was a bit misaligned for sure.  I am sure you will do a great job at this, and am watching the build.  I think I will take a look at my model and see how bad it really is  :)  

• Like 1

I remember the car, but I don't remember knowing it was a 917. 

This is so far from what I would build... it's great. The level of detail painting I think you're going to show us is way beyond what I would contemplate. I even cheat and use less contrasty colors when hand painting to conceal any mistakes. True story. Yes, I'm ashamed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scale-Master said:

I used BMF instead of the kit supplied Mylar for the sides.  It didn't feel like it would conform as well as foil.

I started with the roundel & number decals.  They went on fine. 

It's coming along really nice.

At what point did you cut the decal, as in right after applying, fully dry, etc., and what tool did you use?

This has been defying me even after 10 decal cuts on the same model, experimenting as I went along. I saw a video by Plasmo where he cut a decal into thee pieces, and then removed the center piece, which revealed that the decal was still entirely wet and pliable. When I try cutting a wet decal, the whole thing wants to slide into the gap. Grr.

• Like 1

I waited until the decal was mostly dry; about 30-40 minutes, but still a little pliable where it spanned the slight gap. 

I used a sharp X-Acto knife to slice them and then rolled the four tiny flaps on to their respective edges.

I cut wet decals often and it is not too difficult to get good results with a sharp blade.  You only have to cut the decal, not what's under it.

The stripes also went on well which was a little surprising as one of the stripes had a slight fold in it and I fully expected to crack at that point.  They also conformed quite well to the contours including the louvers front and rear.

KTcWfzZ.jpg

PA4YQUo.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...