Model Cars Magazine Forum

1941 HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM - Posted for George 53

E St. Kruiser50

Hey George Ol' Buddy, this is for you ( THE POST - NOT THE CAR ;) ).

I just took these pic's for ya with the new camera. Hope you enjoy them ;) .

This car hasn't seen the light of day, or been on any forums in two years.

As the heading say's, it was a lot of work and there were a lot of parts, many scratch built, including the body, frame and interior.

Over 45 kit's.

Over 80 after-market set's.

Real Thuya Burl wood carved dash and door panel pieces.

Real leather from Sweden and Denmark for the interior. All scratch-built.

37 coat's of HOK.

10 different colors of paint to achieve the finish, including the primers and clear catalyzed top-coat.

2 identical scratch-built chassis's - Over 800 pieces each.

Completely handmade body - Nearly 200 pieces.

Completely scratch-built interior - nearly 150 pieces.

In Feb. '04 at the SACRAMENTO AUTORAMA in CALIF., at it's debut, it won it's first Best in Show, Best Engine, and best Paint.

In the next year and a half, it went on to win 45 awards IN 4 STATE'S.

15 BEST IN SHOWS in 15 contests.

4 Master's awards.

30 1ST'S in all other class's, including the 2005 GSL.

I've never told this to anyone before, except BOB, but this car was was built after a challange from BOB PAETH.

I grew up building and winning in Southern calif. in the 50's and 60's, with several of my pieces in the car mags like Car Craft, and others.

Anyway, fast forward to 2002 at a SABA monthly meeting, after I had built some nicely received new models, winning quite a few new awards in Or., and Wash., BOB says, " Sure Dave, but bet you can't go back to calif. and win.

At the time, you didn't dare say that to me :lol: , and I had just been to a REAL outdoor car show in Puallup, Wash, where for the first time in my life, I saw a "Rumpy Motored", supercharged, 1941 Hollywood Graham, sittin' low with a beautiful black stock body.

I took pic's, and the rest is history. I was hooked.

I went to Sacramento in feb., 2004 and brought back a three foot Best in Show and two, two foot firsts, just for BOB :huh::P:lol: .

Boy was that so worth it :lol::lol: .

These are the first brand new pic's, after being in it's case since 2005.

I've also included a few "oldies".

I let 'er out to play once in a great while, and I get to show off and brag a little :lol: .

Just for you George Ol' Buddy - dave :D

Photobucket2008340.jpg

Photobucket2008341.jpg

Photobucket2008342-1.jpg

Photobucket2008343.jpg

Photobucket2008344.jpg

Photobucket2008345.jpg

Photobucket2008346-1.jpg

Photobucket2008348.jpg

Photobucket2008347.jpg

Edited by Treehugger Dave

Guest Gramps-xrds

Dave, that's a totally awesome build (except for the wheels & tires) It's easy to see why you won all the trophies. I guess you figured out I'm not a fan of big rims :lol::lol::lol:

You deserve a big hand for all the work you put into it. Excellent work.

Wow Dave-

That is simply gorgeous and must have been quite a chore to build. I enjoy looking at all of your builds. I saw a few of them on the Scale Auto website a few years back. You surely have some talent and patience. Keep posting those beautiful builds. BTW- How did your 50(?) Lincoln turn out? Post some photos of that one please.

Later-

wow ... WOW ... WoW!

I'm at a loss for words... that is so beautiful. I could never do this hobby without examples like this showing what is possible. I not only admire your building talents I love your taste in cars.. !! :P

Dave, THANKS SO MUCH for posting it again! THIS IS TRULY a work of ART! You KNOW how I feel about this model, if only I could achieve such heights of perfection. I know it's just your way of doing things,the sense of necessity to be a prefectionist. But WE are truly the lucky ones to have a builder of your abilities in our family. I've been able, thank God, to meet some of my heroes, MR.BIGGS,and Bill Geary, but I have yet to meet you. If I could only have 1 Billionth of your abilities, I'd be one happy camper. I feel fortunate to be able to call you MY friend! I know I may sound like a 1 man fan club, but I DON'T think I'm the ONLY member! This fellas, is the kind of craftsmanship we should all strive for.Even if we don't achieve it, what we learn on the journey can ONLY be benificial to our skills! Thanks again for being my friend and for those BEAUTIFUL pictures of what, in my humble opinion, is to me the MOST BEAUTIFUL model car I have EVER seen! YOU are truly an artist, and a GREAT all around individual of few equals. Thank you my friend! :P

Heavens ta Mergatroid!

Am I allowed to quote myself?

"You are most certainly one of the craftsmen that allow this hobby to venture into the genre of art. Most impressive! :lol: " x2

Though the Retro Vette is a magnificent build, this masterpiece is in a world all its own!

Regards,

Les

Edited by mountaindewd

Dave,

Dave,

Dave,

I really never know what to say about your builds..

They are soo Off the hook, SchaaaWeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

(Soo South Park style'n)

Like,

Come On man..

Build 2 Complete Kick butt Chassis?

Any body is just happy to build 1 good chassis.

You set the bar on Custom Builds.

I'll be looking for ya at the NNL with Eric..

Edited by Zukiholic

Dave,

I am curious...why two fully built frames?

Thanks for sharing,

Hey Raul :)

The Chrysler Imperial Phaeton in the pic's here, with the scratch-built phantom 12 cylinder Hemi, with an 18-71 blower, and full scratch-built leather interior, is the car that preceeded the Hollywood.

After winning awards all over the Northwest with this, and gettig a full page spread in SAE, the guy's in the club sorta "challanged me" by asking what I was going to do to top it.

All my life in everything I have done, I have alway's challanged myself to "Raise the Bar" and find my limit's, to see where I ended , so to speak. I have found an old saying to be true - "LIMITATION IS THE CREATION OF THE MIND".

When we pursue excellance and perfection, we never achieve it, but each time we get closer, if we're not willing to "Compromise" the talant's and gift's our Creator has given us.

When I saw the "REAL HOLLYWOOD" at a car show, I knew this was the next project, but I wanted to do something different that I had never seen before.

Like the Chrysler, I knew somehow I was going to "Step It Up",and I liked the chassis being displayed aside from the car, but wanted a completed chassis under the car too.

I decided to try 'Challanging Myself" to build two identical chassis's, with a scratch-built driveline and frame. It took quite a while to gather two of everything I needed. The stack of parts I collected to build the car became "MASSIVE", to say the least, 2000, many having to be scratch-built.

The undertaking became huge, but in my career, I was used to such large projects and thrived on it.

The Hollywood pushed me to "New Limit's" at the time, and "Way out of my Comfort Zone" in several area's of my building, but have become "Comfortable" with those new skill's I have acquired, and am ready to push further beyond them.

Dave B)

2008_0609Photobucket10003.jpg

2008_0609Photobucket10001.jpg

Awesome Hollywood, Dave! I was studying the the body and trying to decide what you used to make it. Obviously a ton of work went into it, but generally it looks like you combined the shell of a '37 Ford sedan with the nose of a '39 Chevy, the lower grill area from a '40 Willy's, and the front fenders a cross between '36 Ford and '40 Willy's. The frame, floor and part of the Corvette rear suspension look like they definately started from one of Revellogram's '37 Ford kits.

Dave. you are one sick man. and I love it! to build somthing like this over someone saying you can't is just awsome.

excepting a challange is one thing ,but perducing a build of this magnatude over it is just crazy! I learn alot from looking at your builds and reading the inputs you note. but mostly your no limits attitude is what inspires me the most.

thanks again for posting all your builds.

Thanks everyone ;)

Since building the Hollywood, which was completed in Jan. '04, I have been gaining more new skill, and collecting new tools and equipment, some still to be used for the first time.

I have a new machine shop that I have yet to use, and have owned it for over two years.

Same for the photo-etch kit I have, and a new chroming system, as well as all the wood and fiberglass supplies to build a completely scratch-built body.

So if you think the "Treehugger" has "Maxed out" his potential - NOT GOING TO HAPPEN any time soon :blink::lol::lol: .

If there's anything new out there to try, I'll be all over it like "STINK ON A SKUNK" :lol: .

I have always been a planner and dreamer, and as you know, love to push myself to new limit's.

The Hollywood is not the 'Top Of My Game", as I have plans to better it, using everything I mentioned above

SO MUCH FOR MY COMFORT ZONE :blink::rolleyes: - lol.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. B)

Got a few things to finish this year, and then hope to start on a new big time scratch-built project, hopefully late this summer.

Need to take some time off from building first though , and get familiar with a new chrome system I've had a while, and a photo-etch system I've never tried.

Alway's new adventures :P

Really nice car Dave!

I remember when I was at the N.W. Car collecters show in the expo in Portland. Maybe we've even seen that one. I don't know if you were there when they handed out the prices, but I had a few myself. It was funny, I had to pronounce my own name all the time. And a lot of people didn't believe I actually came from the Netherlands haha.

I remember yours got best of show there.

Really nice car Dave!

I remember when I was at the N.W. Car collecters show in the expo in Portland. Maybe we've even seen that one. I don't know if you were there when they handed out the prices, but I had a few myself. It was funny, I had to pronounce my own name all the time. And a lot of people didn't believe I actually came from the Netherlands haha.

I remember yours got best of show there.

Yes :lol:

You won several nice awards.

I met you briefly, and was cheering for you during the award's presentation.

You had your girl friend with you I believe.

Hope to see you on the 18th - dave :rolleyes:

Hi Dave,

Hahaha, no that wasn't my girlfriend. She was a lady that I lived with, with her husband, for 6 months in Battleground, WA. She was very supportive in my hobby, and I gave her a 1/8 Jag as present.

I am sorry, but I don't know for sure if I am recalling the right person, but I do remember I was talking to someone, standing next to me while the Awards were presented.

I didn't got a lot of awards, but I was/am proud on the street-class winner, with the '64 GTO.

And yes, we will meet on the 18th, and I will bring my girlfriend this time haha :angry: Although I will be jetlagged a lot, since I just had a 30+ hour day and maybe 8 hours of sleep. I will arrive in Portland on friday the 17th around midnight. So go figure, but I just want to be there and see some MCM friends ;)