Model Cars Magazine Forum

1960 Ford P/U alternate grilles

With the release of the new 1960 Ford P/U I hope someone is working on alternate grilles for this truck. As there is little difference in the sheet metal for these Ford trucks from 1957 to 1960, grilles for the earlier years should be great sellers....

Of that body style, the 1957 is my favorite. I think ModelHaus did a version of that, but I never got around to ordering one and now it's too late.

I imagine if the kits sell in the numbers I think they will, Round 2 might get ambitious and do different years of them.

Edited by oldcarfan

19 hours ago, oldcarfan said:

Of that body style, the 1957 is my favorite. I think ModelHaus did a version of that, but I never got around to ordering one and now it's too late.

I imagine if the kits sell in the numbers I think they will, Round 2 might get ambitious and do different years of them.

With Round 2 it's hard to tell, now if Moebius had released it, it'd be a surety.

I suggested to 2007Frontier on eBay that since he already makes the 57 and 58 grilles that with the release of this kit it might behoove him to just cast the grille and sell it separately but he refused.

On 2/27/2024 at 5:54 PM, Fabrux said:

The '59 would be doable with a grille swap and hood insert while the '58 hood is different. And the '57 has a different lower valance panel between the grille and bumper...

1st 700 Quad,  Fabrux

'57 and '58 share the same hoods, lower valance, and round park lamps. The leading edge of the '57-'58 hood is flatter (sans the "snout") and more laid back than the '59-'60 hoods. 

I owned a 1 to 1 scale 1958 from 1985-1987.

'57 and '58 also have a different front bumper than the '59-'60 

Edited by garagepunk66

13 hours ago, garagepunk66 said:

1st 700 Quad,  Fabrux

'57 and '58 share the same hoods, lower valance, and round park lamps. The leading edge of the '57-'58 hood is flatter (sans the "snout") and more laid back than the '59-'60 hoods. 

I owned a 1 to 1 scale 1958 from 1985-1987.

'57 and '58 also have a different front bumper than the '59-'60 

Well that would be great because the 59 grille was used in 60 on the heavier duty trucks.

On 2/29/2024 at 10:41 AM, 1st 700 Quad said:

With Round 2 it's hard to tell, now if Moebius had released it, it'd be a surety.

Speaking for myself, I guess I'd rather have an accurately rendered scale representation, even with limited parts count and one grill, than four different grills to apply to a caricature of the subject ...  ;)

• 1 month later...

The grill and hood for a '59 exist in 1/18 diecast offerings. I'm no 3d printer expert, but, how difficult can it be to reduce an actual already done 1/18 piece to 1/25? A big opportunity for 3d people, but, AFAIK, they have been silent on this topic

s-l1600 - 2024-04-13T093727.119.jpg

Edited by leafsprings
  • Like 2