Model Cars Magazine Forum

1961 Ned Jarrett Championship Bel Air

jjsipes

In my quest to build the Championship cars, I thought I'd see what i could do for the 1961 winner. This will be a slow build, I believe. Started with Amt/Lindberg 1961 Impala studying the different trim levels and thought maybe I'd start by trying to use some of the kit molded Impala trim. Started by removing the upper molding and leaving the lower most piece intact. I think this will work. Need to see what I can do with the forward most trim now.

20240228_105039.jpg

20240228_105027.jpg

• Like 2

Going to be an interesting build to watch. Ned Jarrett was my all time favorite driver. I think (could be a problem) I have seen those decals somewhere, but have no idea where it may have been. Looking forward to updates.

Working on the trim some more. Took my razor saw cut down perpendicular to the body in alignment with the trim that was left on the door and then trimmed away the rest. Needs a little clean up but I think it will pass for Bel Air trim.

20240228_134034.jpg

20240228_134102.jpg

• Like 1

There was a sheet of decals done for this car by an unknown maker, but it only covers the '61 Daytona car and the '62 car. Jarrett's team soon changed the fonts of the door numbers as well as the sponsor markings and body trim lines after the '61 Daytona 500 and those changes more fairly reflect the car that produced his greatest successes in winning his first drivers title.

Jarrett '61 decals.jpg

ERw72B5.jpeg

jarrett - 61 chev.jpg

Edited by Johnny Canuck
  • Like 1