Model Cars Magazine Forum

Spraying decanted Duplicolor Filler Primer

I build small scale resin stuff and, because of a recommendation, will airbrush decanted Duplicolor Filler Primer. The rattle cans give too broad a spray, I need to get to fairly tight areas. Has anyone had any experience doing this and, if so, what would be the recommended thinning ratio (the consistency of skim milk is not helpful)?

when i use the filler primer on small parts i dont decant. I drill the part to attach a peice of firm wire then i will spray the primer upwards while spinning the part in the cloud of primer. It works better than you might think

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 39restorod said:

I build small scale resin stuff and, because of a recommendation, will airbrush decanted Duplicolor Filler Primer. The rattle cans give too broad a spray, I need to get to fairly tight areas. Has anyone had any experience doing this and, if so, what would be the recommended thinning ratio (the consistency of skim milk is not helpful)?

Welcome to the forum Don. You may have to do a bit of experimenting. Try spraying it un-thinned first. It is filler primer, so I assume you want some thickness.  If it is too thick to spray, then try a 2:1 primer/thinner mix. Adjust the mixture to your liking. Hope this helps.

Edited by NOBLNG

{"I have used Duplicolor primer decanted in a airbrush with no problem. It may need thinned a bit."}

Most spray paints I decant I put in a touch of lacquer thinner for airbrushing. I assume that would be the same for the Duplicolor ? I wouldn't want to see the OP use the wrong thinner and wreck his primer, I don't use Duplicolor primers personally but Mr products.

Edited by Dave G.
Add info ask question

17 hours ago, Dave G. said:

{"I have used Duplicolor primer decanted in a airbrush with no problem. It may need thinned a bit."}

Most spray paints I decant I put in a touch of lacquer thinner for airbrushing. I assume that would be the same for the Duplicolor ? I wouldn't want to see the OP use the wrong thinner and wreck his primer, I don't use Duplicolor primers personally but Mr products.

From what I remember I used lacquer thinner