Model Cars Magazine Forum

Big D and her little sister (AMT 1/1400 Enterprise D and 3D printed New Orleans class)

This is the 1/1400 scale AMT Galaxy class Enterprise NCC-1701 D and a 3D printed model of the New Orleans class USS Kyushu. They're pretty close to the same scale, Kyushu is a little larger based on the bridge modules. The D is base coated in light ghost grey, everything else is hand painted except for the markings, which are the kit decals. The Kyushu was a really rough print in PLA and took a lot of sanding and filling. The bridge details and life boats were made from styrene and the aztec pattern was masked and sprayed. The deflector grid was drawn on with a mechanical pencil. PLA is tough stuff. I dropped the Kyushu right after it was done. Normally that's the death of a Star Trek kit, the nacelle pylons will snap. She landed flat on her ventral side and the nacelles just went BOING! and that was it. 

IMG_20240302_212927037.jpg

IMG_20240302_212958493.jpg

IMG_20240302_213015851.jpg

IMG_20240302_213028024.jpg

IMG_20240302_213044024.jpg

IMG_20240302_213104062_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, michelle said:

Awesome work on the ent-d aka  “the fat one no one wants” and the Kyushu 

I always thought the D was kinda graceful looking.  She's absolutely monstrously sized considering the amount of crew.  If I had known what was going to happen on season 3 of Picard, I'd have been tempted to do the scorch marks on her prow.

1 hour ago, Deathgoblin said:

I always thought the D was kinda graceful looking.  She's absolutely monstrously sized considering the amount of crew.  If I had known what was going to happen on season 3 of Picard, I'd have been tempted to do the scorch marks on her prow.

Star Trek Picard season 3 finale episode made me think the d was pretty bad a$$ ship just a shame they could not have done maneuvers like that in episodes of tng with it would have made space battles in those particular episodes way better and it showed it was truly over crewed 

1 hour ago, michelle said:

Star Trek Picard season 3 finale episode made me think the d was pretty bad a$$ ship just a shame they could not have done maneuvers like that in episodes of tng with it would have made space battles in those particular episodes way better and it showed it was truly over crewed 

Unfortunately, they were limited by the effects technology at the time, but I would have loved to see her pulling the combat role like that.  It seems the only reason they killer her off was because the model wasn't up to movie detail and it was easier to just design a new ship.

38 minutes ago, Deathgoblin said:

Unfortunately, they were limited by the effects technology at the time, but I would have loved to see her pulling the combat role like that.  It seems the only reason they killer her off was because the model wasn't up to movie detail and it was easier to just design a new ship.

I found a awesome edit of the ent-d flying through the Borg super ship and firing its phasers and torpedoes at stuff with the beastie boys song sabotage playing over the edit 

21 hours ago, michelle said:

I found a awesome edit of the ent-d flying through the Borg super ship and firing its phasers and torpedoes at stuff with the beastie boys song sabotage playing over the edit 

That's awesome!   :)   "I'm sensing... Enjoyment?" Cue Data's evil grin.