Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964, Brissette FED. 1:16, brass, scale build.

On 4/8/2024 at 7:28 PM, Straightliner59 said:

When I started building my Surfers' chassis, based on Roger's advice regarding a tubing diameter, I took my spring-micrometer to a craft store, and measured every spool of brass jewelry wire, until I found .055"! Eventually, I met his approval, but it took about three rebuilds. Truth is, Roger lee is likely the only guy who would ever notice that a chassis tube is a few thousandths off. But, like you say--that's important, to us! I'll get this thing back out, before too awful long...

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0015cr.jpg

Daniel, I understand you.  After all, we both learned a lot. Am I right?  Yes!  Please get on with this true scale project.  Mid 60s FEDs still kill me. So far, this is looking like a winner!  Nasty motor dump, short WB.  Loving it already.  Mike..

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mike Williams said:

Daniel, I understand you.  After all, we both learned a lot. Am I right?  Yes!  Please get on with this true scale project.  Mid 60s FEDs still kill me. So far, this is looking like a winner!  Nasty motor dump, short WB.  Loving it already.  Mike..

I appreciate your kind words, Mike. If this "quick and easy" project (It's been neither) doesn't grab me, soon, I probably will re-commence with the Surfers' car. It's one of those that I really feel like i need to do.

On 4/12/2024 at 8:23 AM, Straightliner59 said:

I mean, why wouldn't I want this?! Just one of the most badass dragsters, ever!

67541151_2467544189974943_1153245929256517632_o.jpg

Daniel, you've built a very similar car before, your Jr. Dragster, aluminum body. Are you really thinking the same, basic type, with 'The Surfers' car? I agree, these boys were different, and very quick. I've collected lots of photos and literature about these guys, was also considering a replica. Just proper tires and wheels in 1:16 aren't easy to come by. If you can find the correct parts...Do it!  Mike..

11 hours ago, Mike Williams said:

Daniel, you've built a very similar car before, your Jr. Dragster, aluminum body. Are you really thinking the same, basic type, with 'The Surfers' car? I agree, these boys were different, and very quick. I've collected lots of photos and literature about these guys, was also considering a replica. Just proper tires and wheels in 1:16 aren't easy to come by. If you can find the correct parts...Do it!  Mike..

It's somewhat similar, but the Junior Fueler is built with a Ramchargers chassis. I've never been able to figure out what MPC was thinking, with that kit, making it a "legs under" chassis. The 1:1 Ramchargers car was a Don Long chassis! I think I have everything I'll need collected, so I'm pretty much ready to go!

• 3 weeks later...