Model Cars Magazine Forum

New England Central SD-40 #721 sits outside the shop waiting for it's next job.  Kato HO scale with lots of detail parts and some light weathering

P1030868.jpg.8a3c295d890e7dbb12fe6a915d65a5ec.jpg

A pair of CSOR (Connecticut Southern RR) SD-40's by the shop.

P1030880.jpg.38a1a46a65b8c72633de65c05271682c.jpg

P1030882.jpg.45f6f52087d7ca36c06b0d0e07f70458.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Nice work! I caught part of 'Unstoppable' on TV the other night. Made me want to find a SD-40 to make the Denzel locomotive......

sd40.jpg

You'll need a SD40-2 and may have to do some kitbashing.  It's been 10 years but I seem to recall there are 3 short hood lengths, IIRC, this one is the short version.  Kato made the SD40-2 in medium and one other, can't remember if the other one was the short version or the long one.  I do know I did replacement hoods on several in my fleet. (there are 3 more not shown)

Nice work, and nice to see varying levels of weathering.

The brighter repainted or repaired areas on the nose of 3771 are a nice touch. I've seen a lot of that kind of thing in reality over the years.

Anyone who watches trains at all should have noticed every locomotive (or car) looks a little different, even occasionally a shiny new or repainted/rebuilt one in a chain of grotty ones.

Did you also add the air hoses, coupler lift-bars, chains etc.?

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Nice work, and nice to see varying levels of weathering.

The brighter repainted or repaired areas on the nose of 3771 are a nice touch. I've seen a lot of that kind of thing in reality over the years.

Anyone who watches trains at all should have noticed every locomotive (or car) looks a little different, even occasionally a shiny new or repainted/rebuilt one in a chain of grotty ones.

Did you also add the air hoses, coupler lift-bars, chains etc.?

Thanks, yes, 3771 had a freshly re-painted nose when I saw her.  I suspect it had the red and white stripes before.  the NECR on 721's cab also appeared to have been newly painted when I saw it.  I added the correct air hoses, lift bars, MU connections, ditch lights, horns, etc to represent the look at the time I took the photos.  The appearance of some had changed from the time I started the model till the time I completed.  I stuck with the photos I had, I guess I would be constantly making mods as their appearance seemed to constantly change.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Warren D said:

...The appearance of some had changed from the time I started the model till the time I completed.  I stuck with the photos I had, I guess I would be constantly making mods as their appearance seemed to constantly change.

Railroad modeling has that in common with modeling race-cars as they appeared at a particular event.

There were almost always differences from one race to the next, and sometimes even during a particular race...like cooling scoops and hoses added for a driver, or damage.

I think I only have one EMD SD, either a 7 or a 9, as my layout (not built yet) is set in about 1959...but yours sure make me want to get more. :D