Model Cars Magazine Forum

Butch Leal California Flash 1970 Camaro

After meeting Butch at the 2023 Carlisle Chrysler Nationals for the 2nd time and purchasing his book, I thought I'd attempt to build a couple more of his cars. I build the Moebius 1965 Plymouth and loved the way that turned out so, I started gathering items for the Camaro while I wait for the weather turn warmer to do some painting. I grabbed the latest AMT 1970 1/2 Z-28 with the full front bumper and the AMT 1970 1/2 Baldwin Motion Camaro. I will take the nice looking Cragars from the Motion kit as well as the big block to use. I have already removed the rear seat. Purchased some nice Racemaster slicks off Ebay and got the Slixx decals. I couldn't find a good source for the hood scoop so, I attempted to fab one myself. To me it looks like it may have some of the bulge from a L-88 hood with the scoop on top of that. Took the Motion hood and started to modify it to accept the scoop I fabbed up. It's not perfect but not sure what else to do with it.

5fd21a735184d991266cab95d3e93dd8.jpg

12fb5f15da0ab5ebb424933f2a77b1d8.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by jjsipes
  • Like 4

This is cool! I'll be following this!  I've always wanted to build the grumpy's toy VIII 70.5 camaro and figured using those two AMT kits is the best way to go, but his car was unique in that it started out as a full bumper car and was converted to the RS nose split bumper but did not have the larger endura rubber bumper around the grille...so it would be a bit of a challenge to fabricate.

Jason, that year of the Camaro was always one of my favorites and it's nice to see this one brought to life. Must have been pretty sweet to chat with Butch himself.  His car, Barry Setzers and the BaldwinMotion cars stand out!   Good luck with her!  cheers, tim

• Like 1