Model Cars Magazine Forum

Just Missed Out On A Dehydrator

I've been thinking of getting a food dehydrator to cure paint more quickly. None of the thrift shops around me have had one, but they have tons of knock-off Yeti cups. Anyway, I remembered my father in law has one that he doesn't use and was going to ask about it last weekend. The whole family was visiting the in laws. As if on cue, my millennial niece came by and the first thing she said was that she is going to be a herbologist and wanted to borrow the food dehydrator. She grabbed it and then set about checking their yard for harvestable weeds. Oh well, you snooze, you lose. I may break down and just order one off Amazon.

• Like 1

Do not get the Salton brand dehydrator. I have had three different models of Salton dehydrator, and all were junk that only lasted a few days to a few months. I highly recommend a dehydrator, just not a Salton.

I grabbed one at Ollie;s, a Chefman brand. Never saw it before, for $40 I said what the heck. It has a temperature control which I find to be accurate checked against a candy thermometer (available at supermarkets for around $10).

I have been using it almost constantly and am liking it. My previous was a Magic Chef that I wired a house dimmer switch into. That crapped the bed on me and I could get another base for it, maybe down the road.

17 hours ago, espo said:

Try and find one with a thermostat to adjust the heat and a timer if possible. 

A timer would be nice. I only run it during the day mostly when I'm around. A lamp type timer would be a good idea and inexpensive. My Magic Chef that croaked, I pulled it apart and installed a light switch timer. We did my brother's at the same time and his still works. The temperature control on my new one is why I dropped $40 on it.

• Like 1

I have two of the Salton dehydrators…one in the basement and one in the garage. I have had them for years and they have both been working perfectly. The one in the garage runs continuously set at the lowest temperature. The one in the basement I turn on and off and frequently adjust the temperature. Maybe Bainford had different versions or just bad luck?

IMG_1386.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, bobss396 said:

I have a Ronco I picked up a while back. No temp control and it runs 135 F. I have heard of guys putting holes in the cover to cool it down.

I had a dehydrator without temp control, and it ran hot too, about 130 F. I just left the lid off altogether. It would then run about 100-105 degrees. It probably works better that way too, as the air would flow more freely. I always keep a thermometer in mine when it's running. 

• Like 2

On 3/13/2024 at 1:26 PM, espo said:

Try and find one with a thermostat to adjust the heat and a timer if possible. 

10 hours ago, Bainford said:

I had a dehydrator without temp control, and it ran hot too, about 130 F. I just left the lid off altogether. It would then run about 100-105 degrees. It probably works better that way too, as the air would flow more freely. I always keep a thermometer in mine when it's running. 

You really need a thermometer. My last one, I built it into the lid. I marked the dimmer dial where it hit the magic 105 number, but it is good to double check.

• Like 1

The reason I mentioned the thermostat and timer is that when I bought mine a little over 100 years ago, they were mostly designed for drying food stuff and fruit. So far, I have managed to partially melt the interior parts from an old AMT '57 Chevy kit and a few other assorted parts. When I do use it now, I have to sit by the dehydrator whenever I do use it just to make sure it doesn't melt whatever I have in there. I guess I could buy a new one with all the features, but that would cut into my model funds.  

• Like 1

I never leave mine running too long or overnight. Usually a few hours is all I need to so anything. I set my microwave timer when I have body putty in there, 15 minutes. I dry washed parts too, 20 minutes. Primer, 30-60 minutes. Lacquer paint, 2-3 hours. I had read not to put delicate 3D printed parts in it.