Model Cars Magazine Forum

ISP SCAM HEADS UP

One of the larger internet service providers, Comcast/Xfinity, has apparently been hacked, and fake phishing emails are going out to recovery email addresses on other servers, asking for payment info to be verified.

Don't fall for it. It's another scam to get you to divulge your card or account info.

Fake emails from contact lists are also being generated, so VERIFY the originating address BEFORE OPENING ANYTHING.

I proudly almost never check my emails. I use one yahoo account since I retired in 2020. In recent years before I left work, I would rack up easily 100+ emails each morning. My ex boss, he said he got over 500 waiting for him each morning.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2024 at 3:04 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

One of the larger internet service providers, Comcast/Xfinity, has apparently been hacked, and fake phishing emails are going out to recovery email addresses on other servers, asking for payment info to be verified.

Don't fall for it. It's another scam to get you to divulge your card or account info.

Fake emails from contact lists are also being generated, so VERIFY the originating address BEFORE OPENING ANYTHING.

I get that stuff all the time, "order confirmation", "we received your payment", etc. So much scam spam that it's so obvious. Multiple emails of the same thing with different return email addresses. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mike C said:

I get that stuff all the time, "order confirmation", "we received your payment", etc. So much scam spam that it's so obvious. Multiple emails of the same thing with different return email addresses. 

Yup. Unfortunately, a lot of trusting souls don't look closely at the originating address, and there must be a lot of them to keep these all these scamming scumballs in business.