Model Cars Magazine Forum

Vinyl interior method.

I discovered this technique to get a good vinyl look on basically any color intirior on the hpiguys youtube channel (i'm not taking any credit for this). I just thought I would share the technique and results I got from this.

I'm using the sox and martin cuda from johan, an old glue bomb I am actively rebuilding on a separate wip.

You start off with spraying your whole tub with the color you want, just make sure it's flat. In this case black.20240124_203450.thumb.jpg.d4b167254a2f40286f4d3ef63ac03eb1.jpg

Then you get some future floor polish or the Pledge floor care.

Take a brush and apply it onto the spots that you want a vinyl look. Do one medium coat and let it dry.

This does not need a 2nd or 3rd coat because you want a semi gloss vinyl look.

Here's the finished product. If you would like I can get some better photos in the next couple of days.

20240126_071000.thumb.jpg.37c58283b35d0e10c780d458fe25baad.jpg20240126_071012.thumb.jpg.b09800607c1360c5839e78ee7256bdcc.jpg

FMC66

I use a somewhat more "organic" approach:  After spraying with a flat paint, I rub my finger along the side of my nose, then rub over the vinyl areas.  The skin oils give it the right sheen, and as an added bonus, the cracks and crevasses remain flat, giving the look of dust and debris accumulation.

28 minutes ago, Shardik said:

I use a somewhat more "organic" approach:  After spraying with a flat paint, I rub my finger along the side of my nose, then rub over the vinyl areas.  The skin oils give it the right sheen, and as an added bonus, the cracks and crevasses remain flat, giving the look of dust and debris accumulation.

Same method that I often suggest for vinyl tops.

spacer.png

Steve

I am a proponent of the nose oil method, too. I discovered this method when I was a kid and have been using it ever since. It works great, but I had thought it a quirky thing to do, and was sure I was the only one doing it. Many years later when Internet forums became a thing, I was amazed to find that model builders all over the world had discovered and employed the same method. I kind of thought that was a cool thing. 

I usually do this with Testors enamels. They respond well, and almost impossible to overdo it. I can get very aggressive with the rubbing to get the desired effect. The paint holds up very well. 

I have also used a similar technique using Tamiya wax and a small piece of leather glued to a stick. I apply wax to the leather and give the paint a good rub. Works well on larger surfaces like a dash pad, etc. 

IMG_0306.thumb.jpeg.1bf92b139fb59bd19e3b727c139978bc.jpeg