Model Cars Magazine Forum

Does anyone want to take their car into a wind tunnel lab?

Hey everyone!

I've been experimenting with a fascinating project that combines my love for model cars with a dash of aerospace excitement: a desktop wind tunnel specifically designed for diecast cars. This nifty tool lets us visualize the aerodynamic flow around our miniatures, providing both a visual treat and insights into aerodynamics.

image.png.15c4516fc4599213c272d84e80b28c65.png

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this. Ever come across something like this, or have you tinkered with similar projects? Would you be interested in learning about the aerodynamics of your model cars in such an interactive way?

I'm looking forward to diving into discussions right here and hearing your feedback or questions. This is all about sharing our passion and learning from each other, so I encourage you to share your thoughts, experiences, or any curiosity you might have about the project.

Can't wait to hear what you think and engage in some exciting discussions!

image.thumb.jpeg.a05bc39af6ac469d527de66b71abeb57.jpeg

For those keen on exploring this further or trying it out, I’ve set up a space for deeper discussion and collaboration. Feel free to join the group here: https://discord.gg/MYhDg6vQ.

Edited by Gp Jayden

I saw this in your intro thread, and I think it's freaking cool. I am certainly interested in learning more about it. 
I would like one for my desk at work, but if I had one, I would never get any work done. I'd stare at the smoke for a couple hours, watch what it's doing, then take a piece of clay and add a feature or two, then watch it for another hour or so, change the clay.... Then the next day I would try it all over again with a different car. 

Edited by Bainford

Interesting, I have only worked with low air speeds and differences in speed between parallel air streams, but if you have the opportunity to measure a Jaguar E-type coupe in both directions, it would be nice to know if there is an ounce of truth in the expression that it has a better Cw value when reversing.