Model Cars Magazine Forum

Aftermarket parts for Choppers - Is there a market???

Hey guys I just saw the Choppers in a store the other day and I started getting some ideas. Would you guys be interested in some new parts for these? I am going to pick up the Aces Wild and Crusader kits tomorrow to see exactly what these kits have in them. I do believe I can scratch a really nice springer front end together and cast it. Maybe I can even make them out of aluminum, well see.

I am really interested to see what you guys have to say on the subject. Please feel free to list your wants so I can see exactly what you guys would like to see.

Thanks and I will post some of my observations once I get a good look at the kits.

if there were retro parts (including NON extended front end) to replace the bling ###### on those kits i would be first in line (for the parts and for the choppers themselves)...

"retro" parts would include spoolie front wheel and drum rear brake etc.

dont know if that helps or not.

I would LOVE a springer front end,rather than getting a diecast one to take apart. :D

You don't have to buy a diecats to get a springer, there is a nice one in the recently reissued AMT Shaker Trike. however, unless you find one cheap you may be better off with the diecast.

Replicas and Miniatures of Md just announced some stuff for these choppers at Toledo, but I'd love to see some other stuff too, more vintage style stuff. For the springer front end here's a 3 part idea

1) Cast the whole thing

2) Cast just the brackets, and leave the aluminum or platic downtubes up to the builder, letting them set their own ride height

3) Cast the brackets and include the aluminum as a set

Thanks for the input guys. I bought the Aces kit and I have some great ideas. The springer front is definately coming. I am going to do try some tanks, I have a good idea to start from. Wheels are tough and I doubt I can do these, I will give it a shot though. I have been doing some research on bikes and I see some other items I want to make. How about a few different jockey shifters (suicide shifters)?

Thanks again for the input and I hope everything turns out the way I am planning.

• 2 weeks later...

How bout a knuckle-, pan- or shovel-head? A coffin or 'Glide tank might be nice. How about a machined set of gilmer primary drive pulleys, toothed rubber belt and some resin-cast clutch detail for inside the rear pulley?

Just throwin' out ideas here.

Betcha somebody could make good money with a set of machined aluminum iron cross mirrors and taillight.

I also would like to buy some parts for bikes. I don't know if it would help but I have quite a few die cast bikes that I salvaged from a house fire. our house burned to the ground about a year ago and I had many bikes, they arn't worth putting on the shelf anymore but if you could use the parts to cast new ones you would be welcome to them. just let me know.