Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya TS-101 Base White on red plastic

Hello Everyone,

I'm new here and I'm excited to join this community! I've come to you all with a question.

I'm currently building an AMT Fire Chief 1970 Impala. I plan to build it as a factory stock and paint it light green using airbrushed Mr. Color lacquer on some sort of Tamiya or Mr. Color lacquer base coat. However, the body is molded in red. I have never painted a colored plastic body before and don't want any red to show through.

I've heard from other forum members that using Tamiya AS-12 as a base coat can block out the red, but it is very hard to find in my area. My local hobby shop does stock the Tamiya TS-101 Base White, which Tamiya USA claims is very opaque and can cover dark plastic colors effectively, but I can't find any third party reviews of this paint.

Does anyone have any experience using TS-101 over red or other colored plastic? Is it any good?

Cheers,

- Mike

Red plastic as well as some other colors are known to ghost or show thru most shades of primer and final color coats. Many have recommended a silver as a base coat and then primer from there. I suggest that you start by using some of the parts trees in the kit to experiment with for painting. A good automotive type of primer might be a good place to start. See how the colors you are wanting to use react over the primer as far as the red bleeding thru. Any colored plastic seems to offer painting problems, some more than others and no two seem to be the same. Many others here will offer you some ideas and I suggest trying each of them to see what works best with the plastic you are working with. 

• Like 1

Agreed to practice in excess materials or leftover parts trees. Something like Duplicolor or Mr. Hobby gray primers should cover it. You can go over the gray with a white primer as an option. Make up some test pieces with both primer colors.

Case in point: I recently posted a Porsche 911 Slant Nose that I ended up doing in pink.  It was molded in red plastic and I wanted to do it in pearl white, but failed to undercoat it properly.  The red bled through the primer and base coat of universal white Duplicolor quickly and it was pretty bright pink after the first coat.  I've heard of undercoating with silver first, then primer and paint over top first.  Might do that next time.

I have used the Zinnser shellac based primer for sealing bodywork. There is also a Duplicolor primer sealer that I have not yet tried. I imagine either of those should be a barrier against bleed through. Has anyone here tried them on a red molded kit?

IMG_1617.jpeg

IMG_1618.jpeg

• Like 2