Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 62 Corvette Roadster

karbuildr

This was built a couple years ago as a simple, fun to mess around with kind of thing. Mostly a slump buster as it's a relatively simple kit. I was aware of it's shortcomings and there are plenty. Nonetheless, I had fun with it and it's a decent shelf model such as it is. I airbrushed it House of Kolor Teal Pearl with a few drops of blue added, over light grey primer, and House of Kolor Klear, polished out using wet 3200 through 12000 grit polishing cloths. The wheels and tires and disc brakes I think came from one of the AMT kits, possibly the 67 Impala, when they had their Rides Magazine series. The engine I found in my engine parts box but I have no idea what kit it came from. It looks like something close to a modern  LT-1 engine without the top cover. The interior was simply Tamiya Pure White, with some self stick felt on the floor, and a little dry brushing on the dash. Not my best effort but the idea was to have some fun.

DSCN0969a.jpg

DSCN0970a.jpg

DSCN0971a.jpg

DSCN0972a.jpg

DSCN0979a.jpg

DSCN0976a.jpg

• Like 10

11 hours ago, ncbuckeye67 said:

That's pretty sweet for a "slump buster"! Maybe I need to adopt your approach to those type of kits. Those MPC reissues are giving me fits, with their poor detailing (especially on the interiors).

When arthritis took up residence in both hands, now I try for a nice paint job, maybe an engine swap, some cool wheels, and  it's done and on the shelf. I'm enjoying the hobby more now  by doing it that way. I agree about the lack of detail in older MPC kits.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, karbuildr said:

When arthritis took up residence in both hands, now I try for a nice paint job, maybe an engine swap, some cool wheels, and  it's done and on the shelf. I'm enjoying the hobby more now  by doing it that way. I agree about the lack of detail in older MPC kits.

I love that you are finding new ways to enjoy the hobby, instead of throwing in the towel. None of us are getting any younger, so it's important that we acknowledge our new found limitations, instead of letting them get the best of us. In the last couple of years I've started entering contests, and have experienced some success. It started becoming addictive, and I found myself building to enter a competition, instead of for my own enjoyment. I would rush to finish in time, and started taking shortcuts and ended up making "rookie" mistakes. We all need to remind ourselves why we build- because we enjoy it!

12 hours ago, ncbuckeye67 said:

I love that you are finding new ways to enjoy the hobby, instead of throwing in the towel. None of us are getting any younger, so it's important that we acknowledge our new found limitations, instead of letting them get the best of us. In the last couple of years I've started entering contests, and have experienced some success. It started becoming addictive, and I found myself building to enter a competition, instead of for my own enjoyment. I would rush to finish in time, and started taking shortcuts and ended up making "rookie" mistakes. We all need to remind ourselves why we build- because we enjoy it!

Jeff, I couldn't have said that better. Bravo!

• Thanks 1