Model Cars Magazine Forum

Inspired by the recent article in Model Car Magazine by Cliff Read, I decided to try my luck using some kits that I have and some spare parts. I am using some parts from a Monogram 29 Ford pickup, Revell 29 Ford Pickup and Lindberg 34 Ford Pickup. I started with the frame and fender unit from the Monogram kit that was basically spare parts but I have all the suspension pieces for it and I don't know what I did with the rest. The all chrome engine is from the 34 Ford pickup as an alternate engine. I've seen some nice all chrome engines but this is not one of them. But I am going to use it anyway with all these other parts to try to put something together. I can still build a 34 stake bed truck with the Lindberg kit so I will only use the alternate engine. I'm not sure where the body and truck bed came from but I think they came from the Revell kit or at least were in that box. So putting all this together will be a bit of a challenge. I don't have the tools or talent to actually manufacture leaf springs from sheet aluminum or shaped frame rails from sheet styrene so everything is from one of these kits or the parts box.

I started with the fender unit and frame and built from there. I removed the fenders from the fender unit which wasn't easy. I broke one side in three places, but was able to glue everything back together and sand it out. The body has opening doors from kit hinges which also were very finnicky but I managed to get them together so that they work. The three carb setup on the engine didn't fit the manifold so I reduced the carbs to two, painted a few parts on the engine and slapped it together. I painted all the body parts with Dupli-Color Dark Toreador Metallic, one of my favorite colors. I still have to find some wheels and tires.  I wasn't sure this was all going to work so I haven't posted photos.  Here's the progression so far:

image.png.b406c26ff7609a058ff03c0805e0591e.png

image.png.50310765e7631e1c0a23b37079375cfa.png

image.png.da2be25477a2f8a2b20c7897f2844eae.png

image.png.04e84de0a7736c63596b3db75221ff68.png

image.png.e00924accf870baa6c7007f0bf4c5ebc.png

image.png.67e6e6a81a66268bdcd2dc5972ed8c14.png

• Like 8

Thanks, Bob and Jeremy! I appreciate your comments! 

I assembled the simple chassis suspensions, installed the engine, found a steering wheel, instrument cluster and decals, and a shifter in the parts box. I made a steering column from 1/8" tube and found a steering box with shaft to fit in the steering column tube. I've glued the body down on the frame rails but then found that the box I intended to use wasn't wide enough. So I went to the box that came with the Monogram kit, same as the frame and fender unit, and it fit so I cut about 1/2" out of the length. I also cut out the end of the box and glued it back on the box so that the tailgate will fit nicely. I'll paint the box tomorrow as I have run out of daylight today!  I still need to find wheels, headlights and taillights. Not sure where I'll put the taillights; might have to settle for 1 taillight attached to a license plate frame. Thanks for looking! 😎

image.png.2bcb4f437d28a41980932d99f45a96d4.png

image.png.e1f41561059b5b09d40609b29b96b0ce.png

image.png.9b2a5ac63d887c9a56997ad2f0df7d67.pngimage.png.733642ad5e4c2bdf24b02bf1f3c95851.png

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I forgot to post the last update so now I've posted it and have another. Painted the box and added some decals to the bed and detail painting to the chains. I've added wheels and tires. the tires are from the the Lindberg 34 Pickup - at least they were in the box so I assume that's where they are from. The wheels and wheelbacks are from the parts box and the whitewalls are from the Revell 37 Ford pickup. There is a black border around the rim before the whitewall begins but I like that although it is a bit different from the standard wide white. I also added tailpipes from the Monogram 29 pick-up kit and the radiator and shell as well. I added an aftermarket top radiator hose. All that is left are the headlights, taillights, radiator supports, and mirrors. I have the headlights figured out and the radiator supports will come from plastic rod that I will cut to fit. Still have to find some taillights. Then this Parts Box Buggy will be done! Thanks for looking! 😎

image.png.b782aed7a2ebda803fd5b86eae1e1be4.png

image.png.f052329b894bdbf8483c6da9034eab0c.png

image.png.992d3df95922dababf17ede2dea9aee1.png

Edited by ModelcarJR
Copy text
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...