Model Cars Magazine Forum

Has anybody heard of?

We had to settle the estates of our two mothers back in 2020. They passed between 6 months of each other and both houses were 4 hours away in opposite directions from each other in this huge state we live in. We knew our old pickup was not up to the task so we bought a new 2020 Silverado Custom crew cab. It served us well for both of the jobs we had to accomplish that seemed to take years off of the few years we have left. Well, any hoo since then the truck has mostly been sitting in the driveway hardly ever driven unless we needed to get some gardening supplies. We had only put 7878 miles on it, and it seemed like, why do we still have this vehicle? But we did not want to put mulch in our smallish cx-5 Mazda that we had to purchase last June because our 2008 equinox had gone through two transmissions and the engine leaked oil and it was going to need a new cat convertor. Lately we were watching the Mark and Kelly show in the morning and they were having a segment everyday about the New York auto show. One vehicle that struck our fancy was the Hyundai Santa Cruz. We started to find that we both were thinking about that vehicle and my wife finally said what do you think about trading the Silverado for one. I said well lets go look at one and maybe drive one and see how we like it. Well last Monday we did just that and fell in love with the baby truck. Which is what we call it. Bought one that same day. It is so much more fun to drive  than the big hulking Silverado and now somebody who actually needs a full size pickup will be getting a very fine one. 

Finally found the pics of both vehicles. I added black running boards to the big one to try to make it more accessible, but all I did was hurt my back installing them, and it was still hard getting in and out of the big truck. We are very happy about our decision to make the change.

1a2020silpu.jpg

1newsancruz1.jpg

Thanks, Pierre. I know when Hyundais first came out they weren't that great, but man have they improved over the years. I almost look forward to driving it, it's so much fun. And there is a lot of warning features to let you know if you're fixing to hit somebody or they you. Plus, its built solid as a rock. No wind noise or rattles at all. We have no reason to ever tow big loads or carry anything but gardening supplies so it's perfect for us.

Been thinking about the same thing......”Downsizing” that is. I have a 4 door Ram with an 8 foot bed. Large does not begin to describe it. It has served me well. However, I sold my enclosed car trailer along with the boat. No need to haul around sheetrock and 2x4’s anymore. I DO have a need to pick up an engine block, mounted racing tires, or a fender now and then. I started giving a good deal of thought to those new little Ford Mavericks. Took one for a test drive and I liked it! Did I pull the pin and make the swap? No, I did not. What was the major overriding concern that stopped me? Cannot get the Maverick with a bench seat. The dog is not able to fit his fat butt in a bucket. Forget about having him ride in the back seat vs shotgun. He would have NO PART of that!

• Haha 1

Chas, I thought about Mavericks too, but I just can't bring myself to buying a Ford. Plus, the Maverick looks just like a pickup and we wanted something more swoopy looking. Too bad they don't offer a front bench on the Maverick, but the doggy comes first in our family too, but she likes the back seat just fine.

Honestly this is on subject. I just got the latest issue of Motor Trend magazine, and this is the issue where they decide the Truck of the year. Anyone thinking about a new truck might want to look at what all they have to say. They did test a couple of the new smaller trucks, if you can call them small. The main thing is all the specs they put out. Decide for yourself if any of them are something you would want to consider.  

Motor Trend usually picks the highest bidder to be their truck of the year. U.S. News and World Report gave compact truck of the year to the Ford Maverick and the Hyundai Santa Cruz in a virtual tie. I don't consider The Chevy Colorado to be a compact pickup. It is less than a foot shorter than the Silverado. Thats not compact.

I really like the Santa Cruz. It's the sort of truck most people need.

Most people driving trucks don't actually need a half ton or bigger. The Santa Cruz and other similar sized trucks will do most of what the typically truck driver wants: carries a few people, can pick stuff up at Home Depot or the garden center, can take the bottles in for recycling, can carry the bikes or camping gear, maybe tow a small trailer. Yeah, there will be people adamant that they need the bigger trucks, but really...they don't.

I know the Maverick very well, and it's a great little truck too.