Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Ford Fairlane 427

Thanks, everyone for the lively discussion!  Yes, Lenny, the tires are wider on than the GT/GTA but that doesn't account for the issue with tires outside the fenders. 

Well, I thought I was on the way home with this one but that may have been wishful thinking! For the third time, i tried to attach the body to the frame/engine compartment/interior assembly but it wasn't to be. The first time I mounted the body too far forward and the wheel position was not good. The second time I got the wheel position just right but the front bumper/grill assembly wouldn't mount on the body correctly. I tried to "customize" the radiator support and front of the frame with my sprue cutter hoping that I could bend the grill/bumper a bit in the middle to clear the middle of the frame but that was to no avail. So the third time I was right back to where I was before with the wheel position. 

Part of the problem is the inner left fender liner/spring tower/kingpin that is an issue with all the Fords. Its as crooked as a backyard stick. So I have taken everything apart again. Now it will sit for awhile so I can think about how I can solve the other issues with the wheel position. Fixing the left side inner fender issue will help but I don't think it will solve the problem. I really don't want to shorten the rear springs and drive shaft and that will only solve the rear wheel problem. The front wheels are still an issue. Maybe I can move the radiator support (or what is left of it) in toward the engine so I can move the frame forward a bit more. But I'll let it sit a few days and work on something else. I normally don't do that and work on only one at a time but this one will be the exception. Thanks for looking! ☹️

image.png.9b1eb18256a2c700c734a7ba8653b892.png

image.png.ed1abd6186203f8d985d21eb3e6c7d93.png

image.png.26f8dccbbd03990ee6ea2679845c9586.png

• Like 2

Oh boy.....coincidentally,  I have run into a similar issue today. I may need to cut off my rear wheels so I can move the rear axle housing back 2 mm. It's that or get the dremel out and remove some styrene. I will take the path of least resistance 🙂. Should you put it back in the box, I'll take that engine 😏.

I see where the radiator is much too close to the grill in your second pic. John, could you possibly cut off the ends of the core support so that it slides back between the inner fenders.   I pulled out a junker and it has room enough to stick in some horns. Your firewall looks to be in the same spot as mine so I can't understand the lack of space.

DSC00264.JPG.33c1bdeb173aff74c993e0b1bd723ee3.JPG

And still can't believe that have not added any detail for the top of the shock towers?

Thanks, Jim and Len! I appreciate your comments! 

Well, I didn't think the inner fender liners were that far off but that was all the difference. Once I had them square, I was able to move the body back just a bit, maybe 1/16" so that the wheel position looks good. Not enough room for the horns but that's OK with me. The horns are there somewhere. everything else went OK but the decals in this kit are terrible and the Ford lettering would not register. So I was able to use chrome pen on the front but not the back because they are too shallow and I am not talented enough to draw a letter with a chrome pen. I left off the side rocker chrome because I thought it looked better without it. Thanks for looking! 😎

image.png.e1a1dde7d4a778cfbe96227f1cfbaa5f.png

image.png.2d1243630a4e7a19d150e1c7e03ab666.png

image.png.09c19f22bd82c435b4fb44e21f46e306.png

image.png.000aa6fe38e5a42e2e0655f5eb0a214c.png

image.png.78493e331b5121675f3b96aa4f29b76e.png

image.png.059cae2fe8a29d4c994cd48068a657ef.png

• Like 2

Thanks, Jim! No the kit did not include slicks. All the parts are on the car, except the rocker trim, the horns and some side badges that are not in the instructions. Also there was a remnant interior console but no bucket seats. What you see is pretty much it! I thought about using some cheater slicks on this but didn't want to waste them on this build. Probably the last AMT Ford or maybe even the last Ford with separate inner fenders that I will build. Thanks for looking! 😎

• Like 1