Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance Γ—
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Grandpa's 66 Nova SS

I started this before the Corvette I had to quit because the paint was still too soft while I was foil wrapping it and left fingerprints so I've started back on it through the different steps I will tell you little bits about each photo. Today's photo I'm starting with a single shot step one in the instructions engine. I wish they would make an intake manifold to have dual quads and keep them under the hood I had to take that ram welands and cut it down until it was under the hood and I hope I got it right.

IMG_20231215_164301190_BURST000_COVER~3.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zippi said:

Good looking engine there Stanward.

The compliment is well appreciated but there was one problem when I went to do the air cleaners painted I put them on masking tape sticky side up and then shot the paint after I got everything done I went to pull them off in a long came to Chrome with it I have one other incident but that comes later.

I'm going by what I remember in 1966 I knew some Grandpa's with Novas one was Butternut Yellow it's my favorite color for Chevelle's and Chevyll that's the GM name for the color. This my first car after a 3-4 year period and was thinking 51 Chevy and wasn't watching what he was doing primaring the detail away the paint is beautiful the detail that you're expecting to see isn't there. The hood as a scar where you're supposed to cut out for the scoop I didn't notice it I used a white primer and it head the scar.

IMG_20231217_101304208_BURST000_COVER.jpg

IMG_20231217_101606586_MP~2.jpg

• Like 2

Looking good so far. I agree with you on GM’s butternut yellow. A method I use to minimize the ghosting effect of factory relief cuts underneath is to fill the relief with superglue first. A little sanding, maybe an extra coat of primer and block sanding and the ghosting effect is non existent.Β 

Β 

Β 

• Like 1

All the paint is drying on the body I also was working on the interior I was using a new brand of paint I was not happy with the way it was drying semi gloss after a week it would leave fingerprints on the surface. The console I changed it from what looked like by adding real wood l use masking tape for pattern making for the insert. When I pulled off the tape so did the Chrome came off well that's okay it saved me from having to strip it when I go to glue the wood in. I was reading one of the sections where they were talking about how to remove the Chrome off of the pieces one person said easy off oven cleaner another said another thing hey try masking tape on this kit it does wonders. πŸ˜‚πŸ€”πŸ€ͺπŸ˜‚

IMG_20231229_111844805_BURST001.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/13/2024 at 6:14 AM, GoodbuildNY said:

Looking good so far. I agree with you on GM’s butternut yellow. A method I use to minimize the ghosting effect of factory relief cuts underneath is to fill the relief with superglue first. A little sanding, maybe an extra coat of primer and block sanding and the ghosting effect is non existent.Β 

Β 

Β 

HiΒ 

The car body I used a dark grey primer the headers are the grey I used first then went to a white primer. The hood and fire wall l used the white primer and then sanded it wasn't until the yellow I noticed relief in till yellow if I would have noticed it in primer I would have used some patch filler so I had to give it extra coats and sanded. All the paints are used on this car I've never used before spraying the yellow and clear coat we're not like Dupli-Color paint the only thing Dupli-Color was the adhesion promoter.

Body was clear coated and the decals were then added and 2 coats of clear was added. I wish I hadn't put the decals on the black didn't look good for the emblems silver or Chrome would have been better than black on all the emblems. As you can see it is just as shiny as the Corvette was after I rubbed it out and put a gelco on it. The exhaust system I fabricated from what they had on the kit the bottom photo is what I was shooting for this car to look like from the rear it gives it a realistic look for a Grandpa's car at least Southern California. πŸ„πŸŽΆπŸ™‚πŸ€”πŸ†πŸŽΈ

If any of you have a chance watch the documentary called "Where They Race" lot of old footage in this documentaryπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ†

IMG_20231225_133716429_BURST000_COVER~2.jpg

IMG_20231231_135557346_MP.jpg

IMG_20240102_145630083_MP.jpg

IMG_20240109_121402711_BURST000_COVER~2.jpg

Screenshot_20240415-143048.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...