Model Cars Magazine Forum

1962 Ferrari GTO. 1/8

Brudda

A Ferrari GTO in 1/8. I have wanted this for a long time. The body has been stripped of paint and primed. Started sanding and taking out the imperfections in the body.  The color will be a very beautiful blue I have mixed. Mixed toners till I liked it. Not a stock color. My own mix. Here we go. 

IMG_0007.jpeg

IMG_0006.jpeg

IMG_0004.jpeg

IMG_0002.jpeg

IMG_0001.jpeg

IMG_9999.jpeg

IMG_9997.jpeg

image.jpg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Interesting project Bruce.

Looks like one of those part series models judging by the photo of a number of packs.

You did not mention the manufacturer though.

Hello Noel, it’s a Centauria kit. I believe agora bought them out. I have the whole kit. Agora is doing the subscription thing. Bought it at a great deal (although it’s still expensive) the retail price is around $2600 but I picked it up for $500. From a friend. I was hoping agora would let me build it, but it did not happen. Having the whole kit is an advantage for painting it. This is my holy grail 1/8 kit. I have built over 10 1/8 kits for DeAgostini and Agora. And they were free. So paying for 1 kit at substantial savings was not so bad. Still have 4 unbuilt 1/8 kits in the shed. Mercedes Gullwing, Mazda cosmo, pocher Ferrari testarossa, and a VW bug convertible. But those will have to wait until I build the GTO. Well my Mercedes is on a schedule…. Kind of . Painting the Mercedes and the GTO very soon. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, Brudda said:

Hello Noel, it’s a Centauria kit. I believe agora bought them out. I have the whole kit. Agora is doing the subscription thing. Bought it at a great deal (although it’s still expensive) the retail price is around $2600 but I picked it up for $500. From a friend. I was hoping agora would let me build it, but it did not happen. Having the whole kit is an advantage for painting it. This is my holy grail 1/8 kit. I have built over 10 1/8 kits for DeAgostini and Agora. And they were free. So paying for 1 kit at substantial savings was not so bad. Still have 4 unbuilt 1/8 kits in the shed. Mercedes Gullwing, Mazda cosmo, pocher Ferrari testarossa, and a VW bug convertible. But those will have to wait until I build the GTO. Well my Mercedes is on a schedule…. Kind of . Painting the Mercedes and the GTO very soon. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Here are a few that I display

image.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks for the info Bruce. I looked on the Agora stand at IPMS UK SMW show at Telford last year but did not see the 250 LM on it. The later JB DB5 looked really interesting to me as did the Cobra and E Type.

You are in a privileged position getting to build models for the company and keeping them afterwards. Getting the 250LM complete kit for 500 dollars was quite a coup!  I reckon you must have a charmed life with those big kits!

I will be following your build of this model.

6 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Thanks for the info Bruce. I looked on the Agora stand at IPMS UK SMW show at Telford last year but did not see the 250 LM on it. The later JB DB5 looked really interesting to me as did the Cobra and E Type.

You are in a privileged position getting to build models for the company and keeping them afterwards. Getting the 250LM complete kit for 500 dollars was quite a coup!  I reckon you must have a charmed life with those big kits!

I will be following your build of this model.

Cool Noel, I also love the Aston and especially the jag. The Aston is just pure class and that jag, the lines are to die for. I was not chosen to do any of those either. But one day I will get the jag. And with any luck the Aston also. I get chosen to do modifications or paint changes on the big kits. Or if there is a problem. The Muira is a problem kit. You have to model that one. For us modelers it’s not a problem but for the guy just starting out, like some these rich computer guys that cannot use their hands, it’s a problem. For some reason the ford GT was a really good kit. I just kind of lucked out with these big kits. My favorite scale is 1/25-24 then 1/12. Kind of fell into luck with the big kits. This build will be a blast for me as I have wanted this kit for a long time. I had a problem comming up with the $500. So full price is really hard to do. I’m a normal guy with a normal income , so list price for these kits are very hard buy. Without my friend Mark, I would not be able to do this. Thank you Mark for everything. 

The Bond DB5 really interests me but at present can only be bought as a part series. I will wait a bit as it will probably eventually become available as a full kit.

the IXO Collections Bugatti Atlantic is very tempting I have to say right now.

This will be a beautiful car when finished in your custom mix blue. I am on the Agora email list and have always wanted to try one of their kits but just haven’t wanted to spring for that much money. I like big scale and have six 1/12 scale diecast in my collection. I’m currently building the Monogram 1/12 67 427 Corvette coupe but converting it to a 327 convertible. I need to post a WIP thread on it. I am looking forward to seeing your finished GTO!

IMG_1265.thumb.jpeg.90c6c4f092b864587a1bd681f164ee5d.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

More bodywork. I’m being very picky on this one. I kind of fell into big scale by luck/accident. I still am a big 1/25-24 scale fan. Actually these are my most favorite. I built a 1/10 for a friend at DeAgostini and it kind of took off from there. I’m working on a 1/8 Mercedes and now this 250. Putting away a 1/12 mfh Porsche 917/30 . Started that over a year ago but the 1/8 have to be completed. The Mercedes is kind of on a schedule for Agora. I do work for both DeAgostini and Agora. I’m kind of the skunkworks for those companies, I like to repaint them to change them up a bit. Most of the time, they do not like that, but if a kit is a little stoggie , I try to throw a new twist to it . Here is an example, a Toyota 2000 GT that I changed. Sales took off.

IMG_0040.jpeg

IMG_0528.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Beautiful kits, beautiful work, maybe the coolest side-gig ever (to a model geek, anyway).   :D

Thank you sir. And yes a model geek I am. Weird where life takes you. Had a stroke around 13 years ago. I was restoring gp bikes. Super gig. These guys pay soooo much more for their bike restorations. I would restore a gp bike for around $45,000. This was just paint and bodywork. I had/ have a guy who would do the mechanics. This would be around another $30,000 more if we had good parts. If we had to make them the price would go up from there. Hardest part for me was the sponsor decals. Had to go find a similar bike somewhere in the USA or Europe and make (airbrush the decal) . Great fun . We could restore a bike in a month. These guys had money comming out of their ears. I would get 50 percent up front and the rest upon delivery. They would pay for my travels if needed. Greatest job ever. Then my stroke. Thank god I saved all of the money as I was out of work for a year and the medical costs! Had another job at a ford dealership and he saved my job for me. So for my rehab, I spent time building models. Well the rest was just great luck. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brudda said:

Thank you sir. And yes a model geek I am. Weird where life takes you. Had a stroke around 13 years ago. I was restoring gp bikes...

...So for my rehab, I spent time building models. Well the rest was just great luck. 

Thanks for your background info.

Always fascinating to me to know how guys got into doing world-class model building.  :)

Medical bills in the USA sound really scary to me without having adequate insurance or having some savings like you had behind you Bruce.   People criticise our National Health Service over here in the UK but so glad that it anything serious goes wrong health wise, I will get treated without racking up a massive bill and possibly having to argue with an insurance company afterwards.

Edited by Bugatti Fan

On 4/26/2024 at 11:11 AM, Bugatti Fan said:

Medical bills in the USA sound really scary to me without having adequate insurance or having some savings like you had behind you Bruce.   People criticise our National Health Service over here in the UK but so glad that it anything serious goes wrong health wise, I will get treated without racking up a massive bill and possibly having to argue with an insurance company afterwards.

Yes , our medical system is pretty out of hand here. Our system here is competely out of control. We spend more on our military than the whole world combined. But we have one heck of a time seeing a doctor. I wish they would just spend a little less on military and just help the people a little bit. But since my education on politics is very , very limited, I do not know the whole picture. Anyway I did luck out on the medical part. Hopefully I will finish up priming and will get the body ready for paint. Oh I did hear that the Aston Martin is a bit of a handful. And the only hard thing on the jag is the wheels. I will get that jag one day. Boy I love the lines on that car. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh! I've GOT to follow this one! I've been seeing this here and there on ads, but I've got the MFH 1/12 scale kit of this car-----God knows when I'll get to it!

Then there's a couple Agora 1/8th's that I've yet to touch/finish. The '61 Jag I have all the parts to build and finish the car, but I've yet to even start it, and the GT40 which I did start is only about halfway done. 3D designing/printing/building has sort of taken over at the moment! 😁

Keep up the great work!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Oh! I've GOT to follow this one! I've been seeing this here and there on ads, but I've got the MFH 1/12 scale kit of this car-----God knows when I'll get to it!

Then there's a couple Agora 1/8th's that I've yet to touch/finish. The '61 Jag I have all the parts to build and finish the car, but I've yet to even start it, and the GT40 which I did start is only about halfway done. 3D designing/printing/building has sort of taken over at the moment! 😁

Keep up the great work!

Hello Bill! Glad to hear from you! My buddy Mark had this one. He started it by stripping the paint and primed it. So I know it was done correctly. I bought the whole kit from him. I wanted the body to be as straight as I can get it. So I’m taking my time on this one. There is a trans kit that’s going to be available soon. The price is probably going to be very very expensive. Marks trying to talk me into that one. I guess that Centauria, agora and DeAgostini are the same kit. Looking at the parts, and talking to people all over the world, that the kit assembles nice. Going to paint her soon. Was going to paint it Sunday but was reminded that it’s Mother’s Day…… so it will be painted another day. Talk to you soon. 

• Like 1

Just now, Brudda said:

Hello Bill! Glad to hear from you! My buddy Mark had this one. He started it by stripping the paint and primed it. So I know it was done correctly. I bought the whole kit from him. I wanted the body to be as straight as I can get it. So I’m taking my time on this one. There is a trans kit that’s going to be available soon. The price is probably going to be very very expensive. Marks trying to talk me into that one. I guess that Centauria, agora and DeAgostini are the same kit. Looking at the parts, and talking to people all over the world, that the kit assembles nice. Going to paint her soon. Was going to paint it Sunday but was reminded that it’s Mother’s Day…… so it will be painted another day. Talk to you soon. 

P.S.  the ford GT is a pretty good kit , be careful of the door posts, they are little fragile. I broke one of mine and soldered it with a special product from my work. Then primed it  and resprayed it. Just a heads up

• Like 1