Model Cars Magazine Forum

1:24 / 1:25 Gas Station Diorama

Hey guys I am looking to build I guess what will be a 1:24 or 1/25 scale Texaco Gas Station from the olden days. What are you all using material wise for the walls? I thought about using Balsa sheets and cover with Plastruct brick patterns. I thought about using balsa stick and cover with Styrene. Thought about using paneling boards. Not really sure what would be best for me. I have seen people use many different things but I never knew who well it turned out or how well they liked the material they used. Any ideas? 

e1903e2e64fafef327368ea21a8d0a93.jpg

I don't think Plastruct brick patterns would be the way to go. Those Texaco stations, as pictured, were covered 100% in rather large porcelain panels. Smooth and glossy, they made it EZ to hose down and keep clean.

• Like 1

I don't see any visible bricks in that photo.  I would go with some sort of smooth plastic sheets and other shapes (styrene, acrylic, etc.).  In the end you'll likely paint everything anyway.  If the surfaces should be rough, you can use textured paint, if smooth you use semigloss (glossy painted building would not look right).

Thanks guys. Yes, my bad, it does not have brocks, I was also looking at a garage setting and would have used bricks for that. I will look up model junkyard and see what they have to offer. 

Depending on the era of the building you are wanting to represent, many service stations were built like Legos in that panels of sheet metal were used and bolted and or welded together. 

On 4/16/2024 at 5:34 PM, GZM2023 said:

Hey guys I am looking to build I guess what will be a 1:24 or 1/25 scale Texaco Gas Station from the olden days. What are you all using material wise for the walls? I thought about using Balsa sheets and cover with Plastruct brick patterns. I thought about using balsa stick and cover with Styrene. Thought about using paneling boards. Not really sure what would be best for me. I have seen people use many different things but I never knew who well it turned out or how well they liked the material they used. Any ideas? 

e1903e2e64fafef327368ea21a8d0a93.jpg

If you are not determined to scratch-build one yourself you can just look for the model kit once made by MRC:

mrcTexacoGasStation.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jokar124 said:

If you are not determined to scratch-build one yourself you can just look for the model kit once made by MRC:

mrcTexacoGasStation.jpg

Thanks

That is definitely the way to go. Much easier indeed.

There was a Texaco station in my hometown that looked like the one in the picture when I was little. It had survived being torn down and was still in use. This station was built in the late 50s-early 60's and my dad told me it had been delivered on a flatbed truck and assembled on site. The whole thing was made of white enameled steel panels. The panels were probably 8 feet each and were embossed in a 2x2 foot pattern. I think it was finally sold, dismantled and moved somewhere else to reassemble.

The reason for this long story was that Plastruct has a sheet called sidewalk, I think. The pattern would come close to those 2x2 panels. It might be a good option to use, bonded to balsa or maybe modelers plywood.

1 hour ago, oldcarfan said:

There was a Texaco station in my hometown that looked like the one in the picture when I was little. It had survived being torn down and was still in use. This station was built in the late 50s-early 60's and my dad told me it had been delivered on a flatbed truck and assembled on site. The whole thing was made of white enameled steel panels. The panels were probably 8 feet each and were embossed in a 2x2 foot pattern. I think it was finally sold, dismantled and moved somewhere else to reassemble.

The reason for this long story was that Plastruct has a sheet called sidewalk, I think. The pattern would come close to those 2x2 panels. It might be a good option to use, bonded to balsa or maybe modelers plywood.

I will check into that, thanks for the info. 

• Like 1