Model Cars Magazine Forum

2016 Harvick - Busch Darlington Throwback

Jim N

This is the first model I have built in about 3 - 4 years.  It is amazing how the skills get rusty and the knowledge is slow to come back after a hiatus.  It is Revell's modified snap kit.  

I used Mark J's method to flare out the side skits.  I lowered the stance as the car was sitting too high, but other than that it's built box stock.  The paint is Dupli Color and the decals are from Ace.

Thanks for looking.

IMG_2499.JPG

IMG_2500.JPG

IMG_2501.JPG

IMG_2505.JPG

IMG_2506.JPG

• Like 8

Great job improving a model that could have been done right in the first place when it was created by Revell. Stance looks so much better. I still have a couple of those kits I picked up at Hobby Lobby for next to nothing when they were trying to get rid of them. Thats back in the day when you could get a nascar kit cheap instead of how they are priced today. You can't even get Nascar kits anymore at Hobby Lobby.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2024 at 8:10 AM, MarkJ said:

Great job improving a model that could have been done right in the first place when it was created by Revell. Stance looks so much better. I still have a couple of those kits I picked up at Hobby Lobby for next to nothing when they were trying to get rid of them. Thats back in the day when you could get a nascar kit cheap instead of how they are priced today. You can't even get Nascar kits anymore at Hobby Lobby.

Thank you, Mark.  I followed some of your processes on your Tony Stewart build.  I still have several of the Chevies and a few Fords.  They are fun, simple kits.  I wish the Chase Elliott kit could have been produced in larger quantities.

You are correct about the price of the current kits.  They are high.  I have a few of the Salvino kits and will try one soon.  I hear they are not for the faint of heart, but will give it a go.  

I do appreciate all of those who took time to comment on the model and those who hit the like button.  I apologize for the time it took to respond to everybody.  I have been away from the site for a few weeks attending to other pressing issues that put the hobby stuff on the back burner.

2 hours ago, Jim N said:

Thank you, Mark.  I followed some of your processes on your Tony Stewart build.  I still have several of the Chevies and a few Fords.  They are fun, simple kits.  I wish the Chase Elliott kit could have been produced in larger quantities.

You are correct about the price of the current kits.  They are high.  I have a few of the Salvino kits and will try one soon.  I hear they are not for the faint of heart, but will give it a go.  

Jim , the Salvino next gen kits are well engineered kits, but the instructions will make the build more difficult than it needs to be. Do a lot of mock ups while building before you glue just to make sure everything goes together correctly. The rear suspension and front suspension and engine areas can be hard to decipher the way the instructions are presented. I doubt if I will build anymore of them just because the fun factor is lacking on these kits. Can be very frustrating at times.

On 5/13/2024 at 2:59 PM, MarkJ said:

Jim , the Salvino next gen kits are well engineered kits, but the instructions will make the build more difficult than it needs to be. Do a lot of mock ups while building before you glue just to make sure everything goes together correctly. The rear suspension and front suspension and engine areas can be hard to decipher the way the instructions are presented. I doubt if I will build anymore of them just because the fun factor is lacking on these kits. Can be very frustrating at times.

Thanks for the tips, Mark. I will keep them in mind when I build the kit.