Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Studebaker Avanti

THarrison351

On 4/20/2024 at 8:02 PM, THarrison351 said:

For those that might be building this, the vents on the left side cowl on the raised bump, should not be there. I didn't realize it until I started detailing and foiling

Well....actually they should! It's not your fault for "missing" that detail nor AMT's for putting it there. Studebaker's policy for the Avanti was running changes with no designated model years. Other people (such as me) call them 63's or 64's just to make things easy but Studebaker didn't.

The AMT kit clearly represents a "transitional" car. These were built in August of 1963 and introduced 1964 parts as they became available. The kit has the "trifecta" that positively says it's August 1963: the extra cowl vents, round headlight rims, and a grill. Yes, earlier cars had no grill - just an opening. To build an earlier original style Avanti, leave off the grill and fill the added cowl vents. All the '64 cars had the vents and grill as well as squared headlight trim.

So, there's actually nothing wrong with your build and it looks great!

When you get around to building your '64 later, I recommend the site below (and there are lots of others, too) for background info. There are underhood changes to be aware of also.  https://theavanti.com/r1.html

Edited by mr moto

6 hours ago, mr moto said:

Well....actually they should! It's not your fault for "missing" that detail nor AMT's for putting it there. Studebaker's policy for the Avanti was running changes with no designated model years. Other people (such as me) call them 63's or 64's just to make things easy but Studebaker didn't.

The AMT kit clearly represents a "transitional" car. These were built in August of 1963 and introduced 1964 parts as they became available. The kit has the "trifecta" that positively says it's August 1963: the extra cowl vents, round headlight rims, and a grill. Yes, earlier cars had no grill - just an opening. To build an earlier original style Avanti, leave off the grill and fill the added cowl vents. All the '64 cars had the vents and grill as well as squared headlight trim.

So, there's actually nothing wrong with your build and it looks great!

When you get around to building your '64 later, I recommend the site below (and there are lots of others, too) for background info. There are underhood changes to be aware of also. 

Thanks! I could have used this site when I was researching. I used cars sold on Bring A Trailer, knowing they have flaws, but lots of pictures. I'll use it for the next build. Way off in the future.

On 4/20/2024 at 9:02 PM, THarrison351 said:

My son gave this to me to build a while ago. I knew it was not going to be an easy kit and I wasn't disappointed. A lot of detail and features in this ancient model, but obvious items are missing. There is no interior mirror and a master cylinder with brake booster should be under the hood. I had nothing in my spares, so I went without. Paint is Tamiya gloss aluminum, metallic red, and light sand. Not exactly factory correct, but close enough for me. I have another one that I plan to build in the future as a 1964 version. Thanks for looking!

2v2ey2HwzxAVNRq.jpg

I'm so happy they tooled up factory mags. The old deep dish slots that are still included, never looked good to me.

2v2ey2HB5xAVNRq.jpg

2v2ey2HYjxAVNRq.jpg

2v2ey2HRMxAVNRq.jpg

For those that might be building this, the vents on the left side cowl on the raised bump, should not be there. I didn't realize it until I started detailing and foiling.

2v2ey2HPoxAVNRq.jpg

2v2ey2HDNxAVNRq.jpg

2v2ey2H4rxAVNRq.jpg

2v2ey2HmjxAVNRq.jpg

2v2ey2HT8xAVNRq.jpg

2v2ey2HSMxAVNRq.jpg

2v2ey2HhoxAVNRq.jpg

Other than some slight flash, a few sink holes, and the parting lines, the clean up and mock up went well. It was the engine that eventually threw a wrench in the works. The oil pan or something makes it sit way too high.

2v2ey2HVzxAVNRq.jpg

Yes. Makes I think the turbo sit too high. I had the same issue.

• Like 1