Model Cars Magazine Forum

'73 Cougar late model

Hesitant to post this as you guys have some amazing skills and I'm just getting back into kit building after a 30+ year hiatus.

Anyway, my friend @Duane Garner encouraged me to post it, so here she is. It's an MPC '73 Cougar body (that Duane gifted me) on a slightly modified AMT Banjo Matthews chassis. The numbers came from a JNJ Roy Payne Hyde Tools sheet, the rest are from my decal sack. IMG_20240422_103406463_HDR.thumb.jpg.e328516e43bb86e8d09231b5ed984b26.jpgI'm an old school racing geek, love them all but partial to anything under the blue oval umbrella. 

I really need to publicly thank Duane for all of his help and encouragement since I've returned to the hobby. What started as a business relationship has turned into a friendship .IMG_20240422_103427746_HDR.thumb.jpg.a8b4d4fd38cf1f7b9c5f4e5049d2a011.jpg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Cool!!!! got a front 3/4 shot?

Not sure what a 3/4 shot is? Here's the front and rear end's Originally thought about cutting out the entire headlight area (if that makes sense) and replacing with a flat piece of styrene, decided to go this route.

IMG_20240422_103416077_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240425_130553886_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dave Van said:

Most people think Mustang short trackers. Cougar was run by a few.  Inspiration??? That 1st photo is a front 3/4.....thx

Dion_UglyCOugar_TROad_Boright_Ogrv.jpg

Dion_Catamount_BandW_LaCHance.jpg

I had several pictures of Cougar's,  including Dave Dion's, that I used as inspiration. When the model was finished, I deleted them. This is the only picture that I failed to delete for some reason. Even had a pic of it head on into the inside wall at some speedway! No idea who this is, or where they raced at. For some reason this one really spoke to me. I'll get a 3/4 shot when I get home. I'm at our new (to us) house measuring for a remodel. Yippee!

Screenshot_20240421-145238.png

Edited by Volzfan59
  • Like 1

@Dave Van, Is this closer to a 3/4 shot? Thank you for letting me know what the term means. Seems silly that I didn't know.

@Sledsel, Thank you for the compliment. I guess the hesitation comes from skills lost, that hopefully are coming back. After seeing some of the beautiful work posted here, just hesitant to post. I must say, everyone, including you have been most kind and I appreciate it. 

IMG_20240425_164855723_HDR.jpg

• Like 5

Awesome Build! The Colour is great, and your skills are already better than mine. I've struggled to get black paint to lay down as smoothly as you've done. You have nothing to be hesitant about. Glad you are here, building and sharing with us.

Good Show.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Thank you @Sonorandog, @TransAmMike, @slusher and @sflam123 for looking and for your kind comments. 

sflam123, I'm from east TN originally. There was one guy that had a Cougar bodied dirt car that I remember, did really well with it. In addition to the Midwest, I believe they were pretty popular in the New England area as referenced by @Dave Van photos of Dave Dion's car. While I've never been to the area, I think a few other racers up there had Cougar bodies too. I always liked them because they were different. Like was mentioned earlier, I love anything blue oval related but got tired of always seeing mustangs.

Edited by Volzfan59
  • Like 2