Model Cars Magazine Forum

1960 Chevy Fleetside Pickup

On 4/25/2024 at 3:39 PM, espo said:

Even with all of the mentioned problems the final build looks great, and I don't think anyone, other than someone who has also built this model would know of the problems. Beautiful looking paint and body trim. Like the well detailed engine. Found much the same problems and the interior issue seems to require gluing the back side of the cab after installing the interior. Fought the same battle since I wanted the rear cab seem to disappear.  

I have read conflicting reviews on this kit.  Perhaps we got versions made closer to the end of the molds life.

Your idea of mounting the cab back after the interior tub would definitely help. Could be a very tight squeeze pushing it up into place, however, any scratches in the paint would mostly be hidden behind the back edges of the cab. 

On 4/25/2024 at 8:20 PM, Kah puts said:

That’s a real cherry of a build, after the mud the blood and the beer fight we all like it, bravo 👍

Tx Dood. Failure was not an option. 😂

On 4/25/2024 at 8:39 PM, Yeah Nah said:

In spite of the trials you produced a nice model Harry. I've got this kit in my stash so thanks for the heads up on its faults.

The only ‘common’ problem I read about this kit was the twisted frame. I just got lucky with all the other BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH. Your mileage may differ. Good luck!

• Like 1

For all the issues you identified, this is a great looking build, excellent color choice, too. It feels just like a Chevy pickup (a good thing.) 

Question for the wider board, though: is there some way to catalog the build issues for these kits to help other who will likely be facing the same thing? I wouldn't want a slam book, with ugly venting ("This kit is BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH...") but methodically collecting the data gathered from dozens of builders could help the rest who follow to get more out of the project. 

Again, a really sharp build and I applaud the work! 

• Thanks 1

On 4/26/2024 at 7:17 AM, bobss396 said:

I have one I put away 20 years ago, converted it to a tow truck. I had issues like you did with getting the roof to look decent. I will call the engine very well detailed for something that comes out of a kit. I recently dug it up again, it will be back in work soon.

I agree, overall the kit has nice detail throughout. Looking forward to seeing your tow truck conversion. 

On 4/27/2024 at 12:06 AM, slusher said:

Great looking Chevy' Builds like this helps build patience "..

Tx slusher. Learning how to fix/hack/MacGyver goes hand in hand with patience. ;^)

7 hours ago, XYHARRY said:

Well done Harry, I would have to say this is the best cab to bed allighnment of a fleetside I have ever seen. Paint and detail is perfect. Thanks for sharing. 

Cheers, 

David. 😎👍

Very kind words XYH. All I could do was press everything into position and glue all conceivable contact points while keeping my fingers crossed they held. 🫣

• Like 1

Very sharp truck.  Glad you finished it.  I bought the last reissue of this kit and I also had very warped frame. I spent about 30 minutes running it in hot water to straighten it out.  It is almost straight. I am going to give it another round of hot water to completely straighten it out.  I was going to order a replacement part from Round 2 but I think this kit has been discontinued.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Ragtop Man said:

For all the issues you identified, this is a great looking build, excellent color choice, too. It feels just like a Chevy pickup (a good thing.) 

Question for the wider board, though: is there some way to catalog the build issues for these kits to help other who will likely be facing the same thing? I wouldn't want a slam book, with ugly venting ("This kit is BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH...") but methodically collecting the data gathered from dozens of builders could help the rest who follow to get more out of the project. 

Again, a really sharp build and I applaud the work! 

Appreciate the kind words. :^)

Regarding your ‘build notes resource’: Nothing like this exists as far as I know.  It would be cool if it was something like Scalemates… could be a huge undertaking, though. Perhaps a more feasible approach would be to create a Wiki page where builders could upload their notes.  Considerations would have to be made regarding skill level and errors caused by the builders themselves.  
My $0.02

16 hours ago, carrucha said:

Very sharp truck.  Glad you finished it.  I bought the last reissue of this kit and I also had very warped frame. I spent about 30 minutes running it in hot water to straighten it out.  It is almost straight. I am going to give it another round of hot water to completely straighten it out.  I was going to order a replacement part from Round 2 but I think this kit has been discontinued.

Thanks @carrucha  You would be the third person I know of who has had a warped frame. You’re showing great patience using the hot water method. I used a heat gun because the area with the greatest twist was also the thickest part of the frame… and still took a fair bit of pressure to straighten.  Be sure to check your interior tub as well, mine had a double warp. Good luck. :^)

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Chuck Most said:

I've never had quite as many problems with this kit, but you did and still got a great looking result. Just goes to show that sometimes a little skill and a whole lot of patience is all it takes.

Thanks Chuck.  This is one kit in which I would never show the undercarriage.  🫣

17 hours ago, Noah H. said:

You'd sure never know that this kit gave you so much trouble for how great it came out looking. Really nice work.

Amazing what a little duct tape and bubble gum can do.  

It looks really good to me. I love the color and the straight six. Like other's have already mentioned, from looking at it, it really doesn't show the trouble you had.

• Thanks 1

On 5/1/2024 at 10:48 AM, Volzfan59 said:

It looks really good to me. I love the color and the straight six. Like other's have already mentioned, from looking at it, it really doesn't show the trouble you had.

Thanks Dood. This method of photography is very forgiving to minor errors… particularly on paint finishes.

As the others have said, your finished model looks great. I just pulled my kit from the stash to build the go-kart and really like this truck so thought I'd build it too. Your experience has scared me from doing it. I'll have a look to see if anything is warped first.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, TonyK said:

As the others have said, your finished model looks great. I just pulled my kit from the stash to build the go-kart and really like this truck so thought I'd build it too. Your experience has scared me from doing it. I'll have a look to see if anything is warped first.

I’ve also read where people had very few to no issues with the kit. Your mileage may vary. Three things to check in order of severity/importance:  warped chassis, warped interior tub (I believe they all may be a tight fit), roof not fitting 100% flush.  Good luck with your build. :^)