Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone know a source for this color?

It looks like titanium but I've bought a couple of different brands that don't come close.
I know that phones & computer monitors display colors differently but I'd like to come close. Thanks.

capture.jpg

I have used a Tamiya brush paint XF-56 Metallic Grey on headers and have been pleased with the look. Another color, lighter shade, would be X-32 Titanium Silver. While not real glossy you may want to dust it with a flat or semi-gloss spray to knock down the shine a little to get the desired finish. 

Tamiya has a Titanium Silver and Titanium Gold in both bottles and cans. You might want to try Titanium Silver over a base of Aluminum. I've never been happy with Titanium Silver without a base coat. It may take a couple of tries with different metallic base coats.

Alclad "Pale Burnt Metal" looks like it would be a pretty close match.

It's the same color that I use on most of my carburetors.

spacer.png

If you need an exact match, you can certainly mix a variety of Alclad colors to come up with your own creation.

Steve

• Like 1

On 4/28/2024 at 11:23 AM, espo said:

I have used a Tamiya brush paint XF-56 Metallic Grey on headers and have been pleased with the look. Another color, lighter shade, would be X-32 Titanium Silver. While not real glossy you may want to dust it with a flat or semi-gloss spray to knock down the shine a little to get the desired finish. 

Thanks David.

On 4/28/2024 at 1:36 PM, SSNJim said:

Tamiya has a Titanium Silver and Titanium Gold in both bottles and cans. You might want to try Titanium Silver over a base of Aluminum. I've never been happy with Titanium Silver without a base coat. It may take a couple of tries with different metallic base coats.

On 4/28/2024 at 2:41 PM, gman said:

Alclad II has a few colours that may be close.

https://alclad2.com/finishes/regular/

You might get pretty close mixing these two, or overcoating one with the other:

https://alclad2.com/finishes/regular/alc-113-jet-exhaust/

https://alclad2.com/finishes/regular/alc-123-exhaust-manifold/

On 4/28/2024 at 4:28 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Alclad "Pale Burnt Metal" looks like it would be a pretty close match.

It's the same color that I use on most of my carburetors.

spacer.png

If you need an exact match, you can certainly mix a variety of Alclad colors to come up with your own creation.

Steve

On 4/28/2024 at 4:56 PM, RichCostello said:

I like Krylon Short Cuts antique bronze. It's cheap, and looks pretty close to that color with a satin clear coat.

Thanks for all the info!