Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scaleauto Finishes Honey Clear

I cleared a car 4 days ago and it is still soft. I did a light, then medium and then a heavy coat. Putting into my dehydrator made it worse. Maybe too many coats? I know that Jameston is busy. I am waiting for a response to the e-mail I sent him. Any advice would be appreciated.

Mike

i ma not familiar with that type of clear,does it use a hardner? i had the same situaton with MCW enamel clear,and hardner its a 1k type clear with no hardner, but i mixed some hardner into it and it took months to dry (i do not use a dehydrator),it may have been the hardner was too old and expired?

2 hours ago, Nicholas said:

i ma not familiar with that type of clear,does it use a hardner? i had the same situaton with MCW enamel clear,and hardner its a 1k type clear with no hardner, but i mixed some hardner into it and it took months to dry (i do not use a dehydrator),it may have been the hardner was too old and expired?

No hardener It may be a 1k clear.

I have heard of issues with drying with all of Scale Finishes spray enamel line.

A few years ago, I had a well respected builder offer to give me all of his SF enamels because he had curing issues with it.

Don't know if anything has changed since then, but it's something to consider.

Steve

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I have heard of issues with drying with all of Scale Finishes spray enamel line.

A few years ago, I had a well respected builder offer to give me all of his SF enamels because he had curing issues with it.

Don't know if anything has changed since then, but it's something to consider.

Steve

Several years back I had a similar problem with their (non-metallic) enamel paint. I did a test spraying on a spoon  and the paint never hardened (even after several  weeks (and spending some time in the dehydrator).  I could still easily dent  the finish by pushing the edge of my fingernail into it.

When I contacted them about it, they sent me a small bottle of hardener.  It was a clear liquid to  e mixed with the paint before airbrushing.  At that time I got busy with other projects and never tested the paint/hardener combo.  Some time later I noticed that the liquid hardener has hardened in the bottle (which I never even opened). It looks like a solid block of crystal clear resin. I guess that is a good indication that the hardener would have have made the paint hard.  I wasn't even aware that enamel paints needed hardeners. At least none of the hobby enamels (like Testors) or even household enamles like the stuff you buy in hardware stores need add-on hardeners.  While they take long time to harden, they do that without any extra hardener needed.

31 minutes ago, peteski said:

I wasn't even aware that enamel paints needed hardeners.

Me neither.

My assumption is that Scale Finishes probably would rather not have to deal with that either, but there must be an issue with their formula if a separate hardener is necessary.

Another reason why I stay away from enamels completely, for bodies at least.

I can't think of any advantages when you have to be concerned with whether or not your paint is going to cure, and then have to deal with more steps and more products to ensure that it doesn't go south on you.

Their lacquer base colors work perfectly.

I can't think of a reason why anyone would need to use the enamels, especially if there is an unpredictability factor.

Steve

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, peteski said:

...I wasn't even aware that enamel paints needed hardeners. At least none of the hobby enamels (like Testors) or even household enamles like the stuff you buy in hardware stores need add-on hardeners.  While they take long time to harden, they do that without any extra hardener needed.

Years ago when "acrylic enamel" was a standard body-shop repair and refinish material, "hardener" was routinely added to topcoats to improve gloss and longevity and through-cure

Though the professional automotive paints would dry just fine without it (and it was NOT considered a "2K" product) the stuff just worked better with hardener added...and didn't stink like enamel for months, either.

I'd suspect that somebody doing the mixing at the paint supplier you guys are having problems with had an oopsie and left out a critical component. One-component enamels normally contain chemical "driers" that make the stuff dry (amazing, huh?), and mixing oopsies and other QC issues are becoming more common everywhere.

PAINT DRIER OVERVIEW HERE (TLDR)   https://www.goldstab.com/articles/types-of-driers-and-their-functions

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Thanks 1