Model Cars Magazine Forum

Some of y'all might remember the 1960s Ford N-950 from CIP (Dan Models) that I posted a few months ago. Well, here is its sister- a c.1965 Ford T-950. Ford's T series of the '60s were basically the same as the F series, but with tandem axles. I built this one on an AMTĀ  White Western Star chassis (for the Hendrickson rear suspension), and I added the kit Mercury sleeper, lowered to fit the Ford body. It's a highway tractor, unusual for its time but not unheard of, as many "bedbuggers" used these. So, here it is, with and without an AMT Fruehauf van trailer, and alongside the N. Enjoy!

Ford 1965 T950-2a.JPG

Ford 1965 T950-5.JPG

Ford 1965 T950-6.JPG

Ford 1965 T950-9.JPG

Ford 1965 T950+trailer-1.JPG

Ford 1965 T950+trailer-4.JPG

Ford-1965 T & N-1.JPG

Ford-1965 T & N-3.JPG

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

Really nice to see another one of these heavy 60's Fords built, IMO, they are excellent offerings from DAN models. Good choice for donor frame and period sleeper looks right at home on this Ford 950. Very popular color choice when these were new. I believe the diesel option in '65 was the Cummins V6 and Cummins straight 6. Frame length looks perfect for a highway tractor. Very inspiring, will get around to building mine sooner after seeing this one. Great job!

Edited by leafsprings

Posted (edited)
On 5/5/2024 at 1:45 PM, RoninUtah said:

Ā It's a highway tractor, unusual for its time but not unheard of,Ā 

Agreed, most were local gas jobs, but the trend toward diesel really took off in the mid to late 60's in the class of truck. Note sleeper on the car carrier.

IMG_3172.JPG

IMG_3173.JPG

Edited by leafsprings

18 hours ago, leafsprings said:

Agreed, most were local gas jobs, but the trend toward diesel really took off in the mid to late 60's in the class of truck. Note sleeper on the car carrier.

Great information, thanks for finding that! Looks like I should have made the heat shield on the exhaust stack a little fatter...

The kit as supplied is set up as a gas job, with nice photo-etched brass "super duty" badges for each side of the hood. The "Diesel" badges I used are actually leftover Mack decals from AITM. They're not quite accurate, but close.

On 5/6/2024 at 6:05 PM, leafsprings said:

Great information, thanks for finding that! Looks like I should have made the heat shield on the exhaust stack a little fatter...

The kit as supplied is set up as a gas job, with nice photo-etched brass "super duty" badges for each side of the hood. The "Diesel" badges I used are actually leftover Mack decals from AITM. They're not quite accurate, but close.