Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model Master Ultraviolet Pearl Custom Laquer System

styromaniac

Needed to finish a '27 T Resin Body that required corrective work after the stuff decanted from a rattle can (that leaked) created a pitted finish. I know its probably an extinct variety...but maybe someone has some left in a can they would like to deal? The equivalent PurpleLicious color doesnt work...nor does Plum Crazy.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for posting...this is the paint, Testors Model Master Custom Lacquer Ultraviolet Pearl 1996  (50305) 

Unfortunately discontinued.

A really nice rich violet blue color...nicer (IMHO) than the current purples in the current Rust-Oleum/Testors line (Purplelicious) or MCW (Plum Crazy), which

are a bit too silver grey in hue.

BTW: Note the can seam failure at the bottom, not sure if that had anything to do with the frothing and excessive bubbling when sprayed from the rattle can.

Decanting and letting the bubbles gas off in a jar before airbrushing helped to get a better result.

Testors Ultraviolet Pearl 1996 - 50305  Model Master custom lacquer.jpg

Edited by SpeedShift

2 hours ago, ewetwo said:

I had a lot of Model Masters paint do this.

Same here...not sure if the can was over pressurized, poor QC on the can seam, or temperature variation (although the cans were in my office/man cave in the house - not the garage, attic or basement).

On 5/9/2024 at 5:55 PM, styromaniac said:

Needed to finish a '27 T Resin Body that required corrective work after the stuff decanted from a rattle can (that leaked) created a pitted finish. I know its probably an extinct variety...but maybe someone has some left in a can they would like to deal? The equivalent PurpleLicious color doesnt work...nor does Plum Crazy.

I have a partial can (very little in it) in pretty sorry shape. You're welcome to it. May be enough to decant and airbrush.

Later-

20240513_192140.jpg

20240513_192158.jpg

1 hour ago, Modlbldr said:

I have a partial can (very little in it) in pretty sorry shape. You're welcome to it. May be enough to decant and airbrush.

Later-

20240513_192140.jpg

20240513_192158.jpg

Its for my brothers build under the thread title " 27 T Traditional Hot Rod " ...by SpeedShift.