Model Cars Magazine Forum

70 Ford Torino headers

Thanks David, and Edgar. I appreciate your input. 

Thanks Bill. I have that kit you provided in the link. After tearing it open, just found plain ole manifolds. 

Just looking for a set that would wiggle into the AMT 66 Fairlane engine bay. 

For information.
The Revell/Monogram 1970 Ford Torino kits has a 385 family 429 engines, these engines are very different from the FE and the 385 family engines are physically larger.

15 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

Knowing what engine you're using would help. But, the 66 Galaxie kit has some tight fitting headers that might help with an FE install. 

Sorry, I should have provided more info. I’m building the Ulrey Brothers 66 Fairlane S/S car. Not being able to find many pictures of this car, I’m using the kit supplied 427 engine, and would like to use a tubular header. I filled all the holes in the floor pan where the factory exhaust system, and mufflers, would normally fasten. I remember hearing that some particular “ Torino” kit had a decent set that would fit a tight engine compartment. 

The Revell Thunderbolt kit has tubular headers as does the Moebius 65 Comet but those will take a bit of work to fit to a standard FE. I believe the AMT 69 Torino had some headers, I don't remember them being great but you don't see much of them either.

F.E. (and M-E-L for this matter) is a completely different engine family vs. the '385 Series' (429/460 ; 370 truck engine) . 
Headers - exhaust manifolds, etc. - won't interchange between the two .

I haven't checked to see if one of the resin casters (3-D offerings, etc.) offers headers for the 385 .

15 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

F.E. (and M-E-L for this matter) is a completely different engine family vs. the '385 Series' (429/460 ; 370 truck engine) . 
Headers - exhaust manifolds, etc. - won't interchange between the two .

I haven't checked to see if one of the resin casters (3-D offerings, etc.) offers headers for the 385 .

One of the Revell issues, the Torino GT has tubular headers for 429-460.
As I understand it he want tubular headers for a 427 FE to fit in the engine bay of the 66 Fairlane, and the Torino is based on the Fairlane so it might work, it's a model kit the 429-460 headers can maybe be modified to work for the 427 FE...but on a real engines it's not possible without severe modifications to the flanges wich most likely have to be changed as they are very different between the engines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/12/2024 at 11:47 AM, Brutalform said:

...I remember hearing that some particular “ Torino” kit had a decent set that would fit a tight engine compartment. 

For what it's worth, the Talladega kit does NOT have headers either.