Model Cars Magazine Forum

After watching a documentary and few videos of Fred Dibnah, I decided to build his Land Rover. Fred Dibnah is a legend in the UK, he was a famous steeplejack and also a TV presenter. 
I start with the Revell Land Rover Series III 109 in 1/24 scale... 
IMG_6991.thumb.JPG.07b5af7b84d491ac8d946dc517e63c97.JPG

IMG_6994.thumb.JPG.99a3948c345f3a4fbfcc25759389a8c6.JPG

IMG_6996.thumb.JPG.438a409f1caf0ae242ec6d0463f8130f.JPG

The last part I added, I made some "dogs" the hooks that keep the ladder to the chimney wall.

IMG_7004.thumb.JPG.7ae8f84914a25c5c099087a47521ff8e.JPG

• Like 6

That looks fantastic, and a fitting tribute to one of 80s TV’s greatest “characters”! Time for a 1/24 steam road roller to sit next to it? 😜

is there a WIP somewhere? I’m particularly interested to know exactly how you shortened the 109” chassis to an 88”… I’ve got at least one to do the same to, and I’m still trying to figure where to cut how much… presumably in several smaller chunks rather than one big one.

Great job

best,

M.

7 hours ago, Hard_2_Handle_454 said:

Pretty cool

Thank you Eric!

7 hours ago, Yeah Nah said:

Wow! Something totally different and beautifully made.

Thank you Garry!

3 hours ago, louis Carabott said:

B eautiful work Sir 👌

Thank you Louis!

2 hours ago, XYHARRY said:

Great detail on this old school British work vehicle, well done Fabrizio.

Cheers, 

David. 😎👍

Thank you David! 

1 hour ago, kruleworld said:

nicely built and what a great subject idea

Thank you Walter!

2 hours ago, Matt Bacon said:

That looks fantastic, and a fitting tribute to one of 80s TV’s greatest “characters”! Time for a 1/24 steam road roller to sit next to it? 😜

is there a WIP somewhere? I’m particularly interested to know exactly how you shortened the 109” chassis to an 88”… I’ve got at least one to do the same to, and I’m still trying to figure where to cut how much… presumably in several smaller chunks rather than one big one.

Great job

best,

M.

Funny guy too! Impressive to watch him climbing a chimney with a cigarette. I was thinking to scratch build the steam roller or the steam tractor, didn't decide yet witch one. Plus I need to find some reference/measurement.
No I didn't post any WIP, only posted on my pages on Facebook and Instagram. Getting lazy lately... :D It is just few cuts, same for the body. The chassis, you have to cut the gas tank end reposition it. Same fot the exhaust muffler. The body you need to cut it behind after the door, and after the fender. Also all teh inerion etc... 
Not difficult, but time consuming, and need to be very precise. Above all the chassis. If not you find yourself with one tire that touch the ground and one not, and that mess up the connection with the body... I'm building another 88", I will post photos this time. 
Another thing, if you transform it into a pickup, you need to scratch build the rear gate. THe kit has a full door. 

Thank you Matt!
IMG_6903.thumb.JPG.00e13111cdf164bc01c680296e5f2635.JPG

Posted (edited)

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful! In addition to being a Ford blue oval junkie, I love everything Land Rover, especially old Defenders! Thank you for posting this.

While not the subject of your build, this guy was parked in front of where I was eating Sunday brunch a few years ago. I about fell out of my chair.

IMG_20190714_112711744_HDR.jpg

Edited by Volzfan59

13 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Looks great!!

Thank you Chris!

12 hours ago, ncbuckeye67 said:

That is an amazing build!

Thank you Jeff!

9 hours ago, Volzfan59 said:

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful! In addition to being a Ford blue oval junkie, I love everything Land Rover, especially old Defenders! Thank you for posting this.

While not the subject of your build, this guy was parked in front of where I was eating Sunday brunch a few years ago. I about fell out of my chair.

I love them too! I grew up with Defender and Discovery  (1 and second gen)
That's a sweet one! Thank you for sharing it! Thank you Steve!

8 hours ago, Street Rod said:

Excellent work! Great detailing and paint work with just enough weathering to look used but not abused.

Thank you Doyle!