Model Cars Magazine Forum

scale auto mag

I am not a big fan of Scale Auto Mag. They haven't been exactly inviting or friendly with there website patrons or moderators.

I lurk from time to time, I used to post but I wont post there any more.

Guest Gramps-xrds
Yo i was google searching something today and found this model site called scale auto mag.Now i have heard some stuff about this site but will it be willing to deal with me and will they get bent about my build styles?

Kevin, I don't think your builds would be a problem, The guys there are mostly an ok bunch, but the admin might be a prob. He rules that place like a dictator. I joined there before I came here and believe me there's world of difference, Haven't been back much since.

That's just my opinion and from what I've heard I guess a few others. For my 2 cents I'll stay here and 1 or 2 others.

Edited by Gramps-xrds

Kevin, I don't think your builds would be a problem, The guys there are mostly an ok bunch, but the admin might be a prob. He rules that place like a dictator. I joined there before I came here and believe me there's world of difference, Haven't been back much since.

That's just my opinion and from what I've heard I guess a few others. For my 2 cents I'll stay here and 1 or 2 others.

Yup, There was a good question and in all fairness was answered really well by italianhorses.com. The post was pulled for competing website violation. Please, all italianhorses is offering is good informaion. They are not selling anything they don't have a forum, I don't know how that could possibley be competing.. That was pretty much the last straw for me. If they wont allow good information and discussion on the forums they are completely useless. There is no balance or offerance of differening opinions, so all the information is one sided, and whoever is running the show over clearly doesn't have to strength to stand on his own merits so he stacks the deck.

Edited by CAL

As long as you don't build a General Lee, you'll be ok.......... :lol:

:( Ain't that the truth. Plus even though I buy it 'cause of some of the builds in it I'll say it's one of the worst edited magazines I've ever read. A few months back the same car was in the magazine 3 different times with 3 different contest pics. Great build but come on don't they proofread? Sure enough 2 contest pics of the same car were in the next issue too. Makes you wonder what you're paying for?

As long as you don't build a General Lee, you'll be ok.......... :lol:

Always felt more than a little out of place over there. Posted a lot of what I considered pretty good looking model pics without much response. Unless you count the ones who jumped me and let me know in no uncertain terms that I shouldn't post pics of "real cars" in the model section of the board

_90T_BIRD_7ME.jpg

Didn't even get much attention with these "new issue announcements" type posting.

DARLINGTON.jpg

DARLINGTON2.jpg

But when I posted this period correct retro-nostalgia racing program, the powers that be hit the roof and I got kicked off the board and black listed quicker than kissing a duck.

postNEWSOUTHERN500NEWFLAGuse.jpg

Anyway, since I landed here, I can't say I'm very sorry I was forced to find another place to share my weird talents. This is a much better run and accomodating place to hang out,

Fact is follow the rules and your ok....you don't you are screwed....Its really simple!

And as far as the moderator over there ...He does answer his phone ..and will explain all ...You may not like it ...but he is consistent.

I still prefer this forum over most of the others...Post some billet wheels on the TRAK board...its GONE!!Why??? RULES..!!!!!

So........... :lol::(:lol::rolleyes:

I quit posting there because the moderators do such a bad job. I said that in a post and defended my position in an argument with Jim Haught. My beef was over a prayer request getting deleted. He said it's not a prayer request forum. I think it's ridiculous to delete that but leave up so many posts that are absolute nonsense.

Now that you a UTI man, you FORGOT wat a KRUMMY site they is over there? Just stay here, where your comfy an loveded. They'll ban yer arse in no time overt there! It's your call blood,stay comfy an loveded,or go get rocks thrown atcha. ;)

Always felt more than a little out of place over there. Posted a lot of what I considered pretty good looking model pics without much response. Unless you count the ones who jumped me and let me know in no uncertain terms that I shouldn't post pics of "real cars" in the model section of the board

_90T_BIRD_7ME.jpg

Didn't even get much attention with these "new issue announcements" type posting.

DARLINGTON.jpg

DARLINGTON2.jpg

But when I posted this period correct retro-nostalgia racing program, the powers that be hit the roof and I got kicked off the board and black listed quicker than kissing a duck.

postNEWSOUTHERN500NEWFLAGuse.jpg

Anyway, since I landed here, I can't say I'm very sorry I was forced to find another place to share my weird talents. This is a much better run and accomodating place to hang out,

And yet you still post pics of real cars.... Like the one you're standing next to.... What do you mean by Photoshop? THAT"S A MODEL???? ;):( Just kidding you. You really do awesome work, and it was a shame they didn't like it.

I quit posting there because the moderators do such a bad job. I said that in a post and defended my position in an argument with Jim Haught. My beef was over a prayer request getting deleted. He said it's not a prayer request forum. I think it's ridiculous to delete that but leave up so many posts that are absolute nonsense.

I remember that. The members son has cancer, and all he asked was that we pray for his son. I posted here about members of the club I belong to being sick and injured, and it was left on the board because these are human beings to the forum, and not models.

there mag isn't that bad though! its had some really good builds, and they show some neat tricks!!!!! just the mag is ok. not the forum! just the mag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're right the mag isn't horrible and they do have some amazing builds, featured articles, and great tips and tricks. I just like MCM better. It's bigger and the price is better. It's always very well written and I think it consistantly has a more diverse collection of builds. I do still get Scale Auto and will continue to get it because it's one of two modeling magazines. Not like car magazines where there are 5,000 of them. I just think that Scale Auto could be written better and like I said five contest pics of the same model over two issues is a little much. All were from different angles and it was a great model but I, like most of you, want new pics of new models. And the last reason: Contest Annual, MCM $4.50 - Scale Auto $12.95!!! No comparison.

The one thing that bothers me so much there is the limiting size of the photos. Most are about the size of the avatars here. How can you have a discussion of the details of the build when the whole car photo is like 300x200 or so. The images there disservice the whole idea of the site. When I first came here I thought the images I posted would be ripped and shredded, chopped and sectioned, lowered and shaved. Not a one has ever been touched other than display re-size to make reading easy. And now I like it here so much I'm not even going to try any 3500x2800 images just to see! ;) ;) :(

What everyone else has said is pretty much true. I do however disagree with the person who said the members are overly critical. I'm a member there and still participate. While there have been some bad pennies over the years, a vast majority of the members there are good folks. Kevin, I think your work would be recieved well there by the folks interested in that genre of modeling. You have nothing to lose by trying.

One thing no one has touched on. A rant on that forum is a quaranteed delete from admin. A few rant posts over the years have turned into real debacles, and in responce to that, the admin deletes such things before they get out of hand.

Be cool.

while i don't always agree with the way things are over there i like it and i can't say much bad about the place. other's have said it already and i'll say it again,READ AND FOLLOW THE RULES! do that and i think you will be okay over there. the Scale Auto forums are for discussion of model car's, trucks and motorcycles, nothing more and they are very clear about it.

i say join up and use it as another resource.

Dave

I agree with you Dave... If you stay out of the arguments and just focus on your build, and the other guys builds, it is no different from here. There are a bunch of great guys there... and just ignore the rest. Jim has decided it's a business... and it's his business, so most of the problems when they occur are violations of his rules. Ninety percent of them are people selling or advertising another site or product, which is clearly against the rules. Another thing to remember is that Kalmbach is a like the rest of Corperate America... big and inflexible. If Jim has been told by his boss "No advertising without paying, and nothing religious" then that's the way it is.

I enjoy this site as well, due to it's freedom and self policeing, but one thing I don't like is the subject layout. I build one type of model (Factory Stock) and it's kind of time consuming searching through 100's of muscle cars and hot rods to find what really interests me. ( Not that I don't look anyway... just sometimes I'm short on time)

There's definately room for more than one site... so I guess the trick is to find the one that suits you the best...

Fact is follow the rules and your ok....you don't you are screwed....Its really simple!

And as far as the moderator over there ...He does answer his phone ..and will explain all ...You may not like it ...but he is consistent.

I still prefer this forum over most of the others...Post some billet wheels on the TRAK board...its GONE!!Why??? RULES..!!!!!

So........... :angry::D:P:lol:

Mike, if you don't like it....don't stay. The "TRaK" (Traditional Rod and Kustom in scale) forum is specific to one era/style of automobiles. There are no "rules"...it's called guidelines to follow in order to stay on topic for the forum. Why bash my forum on here? You must not know I frequent this forum and am a proud contributor. I am really sorry that you felt the need to drag me into this....TRaK is "me". I guess there will always be a complaint....but nobody is forcing anyone to be there. 757 members are enjoying it. :blink: (maybe 756? lol )

Further more, if the forum was specific to "street rods" and billet boats...you don't think that it would be the other way around? Check around buddy, there are many specific boards out there like for NASCAR as an example....don't think a donk would fly there? Just open your mind. ;)

Mike, if you don't like it....don't stay. The "TRaK" (Traditional Rod and Kustom in scale) forum is specific to one era/style of automobiles. There are no "rules"...it's called guidelines to follow in order to stay on topic for the forum. Why bash my forum on here? You must not know I frequent this forum and am a proud contributor. I am really sorry that you felt the need to drag me into this....TRaK is "me". I guess there will always be a complaint....but nobody is forcing anyone to be there. 757 members are enjoying it. B) (maybe 756? lol )

Further more, if the forum was specific to "street rods" and billet boats...you don't think that it would be the other way around? Check around buddy, there are many specific boards out there like for NASCAR as an example....don't think a donk would fly there? Just open your mind. ;)

WHOA!!!!!! I love TRaK Bob BECAUSE of "guidelines"...and the consistency that you have given it!

All I did was point out an example of how other boards function and used billet wheels as an easy to understand example.

I also did READ the rules on all of these forums including TRaK and follow them

So If you do not like others talking about your baby I'm SORRY

BUT I THINK YOU ARE WRONG ;);)

WHOA!!!!!! I love TRaK Bob BECAUSE of "guidelines"...and the consistency that you have given it!

All I did was point out an example of how other boards function and used billet wheels as an easy to understand example.

I also did READ the rules on all of these forums including TRaK and follow them

So If you do not like others talking about your baby I'm SORRY

BUT I THINK YOU ARE WRONG ;);)

Mike, maybe I read and took what you said wrong. I appologize to you for that if I did. Don't worry, I am not all frazzled over anything. I hope you like the forum! I don't mind people talking about TRaK.....not one bit! Funny how we interpret another person's typing and use of emoticons..if you read your comment again and include the "rolling eyes"...maybe you can see why I thought ya were attacking.....but like I said, I am sorry....I take it back....don't worry about it.....have a nice Easter B)

Mike, maybe I read and took what you said wrong. I apologize to you for that if I did. Don't worry, I am not all frazzled over anything. I hope you like the forum! I don't mind people talking about TRaK.....not one bit! Funny how we interpret another person's typing and use of emoticons..if you read your comment again and include the "rolling eyes"...maybe you can see why I thought ya were attacking.....but like I said, I am sorry....I take it back....don't worry about it.....have a nice Easter ;)

Apology accepted...and not a problem.

This is why I love it here...HONEST talk between good people!!

I love TRaK for what it is B) and being a boomer myself I'm still learning about that period thru TRaK!!!

And may you , your family and this our "extended" family have a safe and happy Easter ;)

Edited by MikeMc

Guest Davkin

Thanks for creating TRaK Bob! I love it! I love that I can click on a thread and know that I'll see or read something that interests me. Now that isn't censorship, that's just a SIG, (Special Interest Group in IPMS speak). Unlike that other forum where the administrator will delete popular threads or even whole sections without warning let alone discussion, (the reason I left there after several years of pretty heavy activity on that forum). If you post something "Non TRaK-able" on TRaK Bob will just point it out to you and ask you to refrain from such postings in the future. No ranting or yelling, no deleting the thread without warning, no banning, no attitude about it at all really, just a friendly matter of fact statement that what you are posting doesn't really belong in that forum.

MCM and TRaK are good examples of how a forum should be run, kept on topic by the administrator without being an arse about it.

David

Appology accepted...and not a problem.

This is why I love it here...HONEST talk between good people!!

I love TRaK for what it is ;) and being a boomer myself I'm still learning about that period thru TRaK!!!

And may you , your family and this our "extended" family have a safe and happy Easter :D

thanks Mike, I try to type exactly how I feel and would say from the mouth. I don't like to bend and hide anything. Being open is part of who I am. When my dad died in 1999, everyone at my job knew about it. There was about 200 people on my floor. I got cards and even money from people. I didn't ask for it, didn't think it was anyone else's problem either. Normally a person will just accept what was said and given and not even say anything... I felt that their efforts to make me feel better deserved more than that. I stood in the middle of the room and gave a speech and thanked everyone. I don't see why it's so hard for people to do that these days. We are all human, I am not afraid to admit being wrong and don't worry about my ego being crushed.

Everyone that joins is curious to begin with, but it seems as everyone loves the fact that only pre 1970 autos of kustoms, rods, vintage drags, salty bonneville's and early jalopy are allowed. There is plenty of room!

That's all..just wanted to be open again :lol:

Thanks for creating TRaK Bob! I love it! I love that I can click on a thread and know that I'll see or read something that interests me. Now that isn't censorship, that's just a SIG, (Special Interest Group in IPMS speak). Unlike that other forum where the administrator will delete popular threads or even whole sections without warning let alone discussion, (the reason I left there after several years of pretty heavy activity on that forum). If you post something "Non TRaK-able" on TRaK Bob will just point it out to you and ask you to refrain from such postings in the future. No ranting or yelling, no deleting the thread without warning, no banning, no attitude about it at all really, just a friendly matter of fact statement that what you are posting doesn't really belong in that forum.

MCM and TRaK are good examples of how a forum should be run, kept on topic by the administrator without being an arse about it.

David

David, thanks and I am glad you like it. I don't want to compete with anyone...it's not possible anyways. When I started the forum I wanted to have a place to show what I liked with others who liked it with the same passion. I never expected it to grow so big! I don't want to throw names around, but you guys know there are some of the best kustomizers and rod builders on there. I am very proud and happy to have you guys there.

Now to correct something you said about deletion of posts...in all honesty it does say in the guidelines that a model will be deleted if it doesn't fit the board without warning. That's been there since day 1. I have since been easier on everyone as I saw how it got some guys upset. I still may delete a thread that doesn't fit.....but the difference today is I will PM the guy and explain things to help him out. I don't want anyone angry ;) The only time I would lock a thread is if you guys ask me to....or if it's completely out of control.....I don't allow flaming (to a certain extent) bashing people is dumb. If a person is flaming the forum and trying to discredit TRaK ..it's insulting everyone there , so I will delete that kind of stuff too.

If you start a topic to rant about something, talk about your problems or whatever....I don't delete them. There are sections of the board for off topic stuff and I think everyone does a good job of using the board how it's supposed to be. It's a very tight group there!

Sorry to go on about it..just me being open again!

My appologies guys....didn't want this thread to turn into my own lol

Edited by awbcrazy