Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint question

dwc43

I have a truck in the works. A work truck. Needs to be faded out, but otherwise well kept up. I recently used some white primer on some headers for a 40 Ford circle track car I am working on. Not too flat, not too shiny. I have some Ford semi gloss black. It seems to be a little more shiny than what I want. I'm thinking about using the two to get the faded two tone black and white paint job I need.

What do you think? Better way to get the results I want?

If you use the white primer for your paint , it is going to mark up with the slightest bit of handling. The black semi gloss is a good start .

Try this ... Take an old hood and shoot it with your semi gloss black. After it cures out , take a little bit of black chalk and lightly rub the painted surface . I think it will give you the desired effect.

You can do this with just about any standard color , gloss or semi gloss surface . The chalks fade the paint , yet allow the surface to maintain some semblance of a shine. It gives it that well used but still loved patina ! :unsure:

Donn Yost

Lone Wolf Custom Painting

If you use the white primer for your paint , it is going to mark up with the slightest bit of handling. The black semi gloss is a good start .

Try this ... Take an old hood and shoot it with your semi gloss black. After it cures out , take a little bit of black chalk and lightly rub the painted surface . I think it will give you the desired effect.

You can do this with just about any standard color , gloss or semi gloss surface . The chalks fade the paint , yet allow the surface to maintain some semblance of a shine. It gives it that well used but still loved patina ! :unsure:

Donn Yost

Lone Wolf Custom Painting

What kind of chalk and where can I find it? Is it something I can find in the art section of a hobby lobby? And if I fade the black with the chalk, how can I get the same effect with the white sections on a semi gloss white if I use that instead of the primer? Trying something new here, so I have some dumb questions to ask. lol.

What kind of chalk and where can I find it? Is it something I can find in the art section of a hobby lobby? And if I fade the black with the chalk, how can I get the same effect with the white sections on a semi gloss white if I use that instead of the primer? Trying something new here, so I have some dumb questions to ask. lol.

No such thing as dumb questions. Local art store , hobby shop , etc . for the chalk sets. Some of them are a little pricey but as always , you get what you pay for ! I have several weathering sets and a large one with every diffrent color of the rainbow.

If you look at a vehicle that has been exposed to the elements over a long period of time , you'll realize it might be four or five diffrent shades of a color. Hence the reason for my jumbo sized rainbow set ! Always work light to dark , color shade wise. Take your black color for instance , you can always add some gray chalk shading to it , even a little white, especially on areas that are always exposed to constant sunlight . As for your question on your white sections... White chalk ! Maybe a little light beige ?

Buy yourself some sheets of Plastastruct and experiment , paint one , say ,red . Use a couple of diffrent shades of red chalk on it , you'll get the hang of it quick. A couple of short stiff bristled brushes are a must. Weathering with your airbrush as a starter is great , adding subtle shading with the chalks will put the icing on the cake! Using chalk to weather and dirty up your motors and frames can't be beat . If you don't like it , wash it off and start again . Hope this helps. Anymore " dumb questions" , Please feel free to ask ! :)

The Old Man

I would avoid using white primer.

Don't be afraid to use a matte clearcoat (dullcoat) over the black and white paint, which can be applied as gloss or semigloss. It can dull down paint that's too glossy. If the subject gets any decals, the only good way to do it would be paint the base coat under the decals a gloss color, apply the decals, and then dullcoat the entire subject. Military builders do this all the time so the decals stick properly and don't "silver".

While it's preferable to airbrush dullcoat (airbrushes are a fantastic tool for weathering), there are spray clears in matte and semigloss. IIRC Testors are a mild lacquer. Tamiya now makes spray clear in matte and semigloss. It's not based on the "yellow varnish" clear that Testors uses. If the white should stay white, use the Tamiya.

I would avoid using white primer.

Don't be afraid to use a matte clearcoat (dullcoat) over the black and white paint, which can be applied as gloss or semigloss. It can dull down paint that's too glossy. If the subject gets any decals, the only good way to do it would be paint the base coat under the decals a gloss color, apply the decals, and then dullcoat the entire subject. Military builders do this all the time so the decals stick properly and don't "silver".

While it's preferable to airbrush dullcoat (airbrushes are a fantastic tool for weathering), there are spray clears in matte and semigloss. IIRC Testors are a mild lacquer. Tamiya now makes spray clear in matte and semigloss. It's not based on the "yellow varnish" clear that Testors uses. If the white should stay white, use the Tamiya.

Zoom Zoom, a.k.a. Bob Downie seems to know what he's talking about, judging from his work. Matte, satin, and flat clear are valuable tools for getting the effect you want from a color.

Gary

Zoom Zoom, a.k.a. Bob Downie seems to know what he's talking about, judging from his work. Matte, satin, and flat clear are valuable tools for getting the effect you want from a color.

Gary

Bob is the MASTER..when it comes to finishes B) ...and don't forget Donn Yost ;)

I am glad to learn from these two masters and all of the others too... ;););)

I think I'll get some matching low gloss white to match the low glos black I already have and test it with some chalk and see how it works out.

I'll have to try and find some dull coat for my air brush though. I tried the Testors stuff in the rattle can. It sprays too heavy if you are not careful and it looks like it has bubbles in it.

I think I'll get some matching low gloss white to match the low glos black I already have and test it with some chalk and see how it works out.

I'll have to try and find some dull coat for my air brush though. I tried the Testors stuff in the rattle can. It sprays too heavy if you are not careful and it looks like it has bubbles in it.

So buy the testors stuff in the can, decant, thin and spray...I usually do not need to thin it but I live in a warm climate and its never under 70! :P:lol:

Thanks to Bob Downie for this link:

http://public.fotki.com/grdeyed/model_cars...ng-spray-paint/

Edited by MikeMc