Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jimmy Spencer's Meineke Thunderbird

chris coller

A little back story on this car. I built this car when I was about 15 or 16. Needless to say my skills were nothing of what they are now. So justed wanted to build this car again and try and do it 10 times better. Working on this for about a weeks now on and off. Started hacking away the top part of the roll cage and rebuilt ussing .80 Evergreen rod. The front bracing done using 1/16 rod.

The engine is painted with Tamiya AS-12 raw metal with the trans painted black with exhaust metalizer over top. Have a few aluminum pulleys attatched. A/N fittings are #3 with Pro Tech braibed line. Distibutor is from Replicas of Maryland with black and grey plug boots. Well here it is the start of something good I hope. Now for the rest of the part gathering!

set1613.jpg

set1614.jpg

set1615.jpg

set1616.jpg

set1619.jpg

set1620.jpg

Edited by chris coller

I just took some Model Masters flat black painted the trans and then brushed on the MM exhaust metalizer. The tarns on the real car is usually matte/flat black ar almost a gunmetal color. Depends on the year I guess. Hve sean them almost a pale gold on the newer cars. Hope that helps.

• 3 weeks later...
Its looking real good Chris. Keep in mind, this board has lots of nascar haters so you wont get but a lick and a promise!!!

But all that aside, its looking really great... nice clean detail so far....

DaveT

haha .. you're nothing but a troublemaker, David ... :D

It's fun doing a kit you did when young, looking fine Chris. I especially like the header color

"Its looking real good Chris. Keep in mind, this board has lots of nascar haters so you wont get but a lick and a promise!!! "

I suppose I am one of those nascar haters, but I cannot deny that this is completely off the hook. Amazing detail and craftsmenship and cannot wait for final product.

Edited by sak

Thanks guys, I know it's not a 32 Ford or a 49 Merc or a street car. It is thepoint of complimenting good workmanship. There are a lot of subjects on here that I wouldn't build but I do comment and commend people on there projects. Maybe my thick skin is starting to wear thin. Who knows. But you guys are great and thanks for the comments. Now Igotta get some paint on this thing!

Thanks guys, I know it's not a 32 Ford or a 49 Merc or a street car. It is thepoint of complimenting good workmanship. There are a lot of subjects on here that I wouldn't build but I do comment and commend people on there projects. Maybe my thick skin is starting to wear thin. Who knows. But you guys are great and thanks for the comments. Now Igotta get some paint on this thing!

Chris you are doing excellent work. I think that the problem is that many people see a subject, they are not interested in, and they do not bother to open the post.

If they had, I am SURE they would have felt compelled to comment on the skill and craftsman ship that you are proudly displaying. Keep it up!!

Dave and Chris. You are both no doubt right regarding NASCAR and Circle trackers if measured by quantity of comments and replies. But frankly, as someone with a decided hangup on Traditional Rods & Customs I kinda feel the same way. Go figure... What I do enjoy about this board is the huge range of styles and categories of building and the tremendous talent one encounters among them. If fact, I just select "View New Posts" so I don't miss something cool! So, whereas it's always great to have someone like what I like, great modeling will win out regardless.

This build is another fine one from you, Chris and I'm enjoying following along even if I don't say anything. And Dave Z (not to be confused with another Dave Z ;) ). is definitely one of my "go-to" builders as well. So, NASCAR, Sportscars, Formula One, Circle Track, Factory Stock, Led Sleds, Rat Rods, Heavy Commercial, Straightline, or meticulously historically accurate, keep those great builds comin'! :D

PS Chris, I know you scratch build an awful lot of your stuff - did you scratch those pulleys?

Edited by gbk1

Dave and Chris. You are both no doubt right regarding NASCAR and Circle trackers if measured by quantity. But frankly, as someone with a decided hangup on Traditional Rods & Customs I kinda feel the same way. Go figure... What I do enjoy about this board is the tremendous range of styles and categories of building and the tremendous talent one encounters among them. So, whereas it's always cool to have someone like what I like, great modeling will win out regardless.

This build is another fine one from you, Chris and I'm enjoying following along even if I don't say anything. And Dave Z (not to be confused with another Dave Z ;) ). is definitely one of my "go-to" builders as well. So, NASCAR, Sportscars, Formula One, Circle Track, Factory Stock, Led Sleds, Rat Rods, Heavy Commercial, Straightline, or meticulously historically accurate, keep those great builds comin'! :D

PS Chris, I know you scratch build an awful lot of your stuff - did you scratch those pulleys?

No, they are a mix of MAS and Scale repro's. I got a awesome deal down at the NNL Mid Atlantic (for Lyle) on a turned aluminum Nascar detail set for $7. Pulleys, dry sump, air cleaner, starter, and solenoid, and a few other things. I think "back in the day" the set went for like $40 to $45.

No, they are a mix of MAS and Scale repro's. I got an awesome deal down at the NNL Mid Atlantic (for Lyle) on a turned aluminum Nascar detail set for $7. Pulleys, dry sump, air cleaner, starter, and solenoid, and a few other things. I think "back in the day" the set went for like $40 to $45.

Well, you're getting your money's worth in visual impact. And, oh yeah, I agree with Dave Z, the headers with those amazing curves and the weld lines are truly awesome! :D

Edited by gbk1

Chris,

Your are doing an awesome job on this car. Are you using the Revell/Monogram T-Bird? Keep up the good work. I have been a Nascar fan forever and I like every other form of motorsports. So it doesn't matter what type of car is being built, it's great to see ones creativity,engineering, and artistic abillities when building a model. I'll definitely be following this till completetion.

What's Nascar?

<_<

That motor alone is Boot Stumpin Sweet.

Dash looks Great.

Body work looks great.

ya got a fine deal on Parts too.

I'm just not much of a Commenter but a good looker. :rolleyes:

Beside, You all nascar guys are Insane Crazy when it comes to 1:1 perfection.

I have a hard enough time building So-So.. So

CHRIS you have definite talent for detail, detail, detail. the chassis looks convincingly 1:1. great job.

just one little comment, please do not take this as a complaint, just a heads up. the holley carb uses cathedral bowls; as such, the fuel enters at the ends of the bowls, at a 30 degree downward angle, on either side.

holleycarb2.jpg

here you can see what i am talking about. this is an HP double pumper.

i have a lot of respect for you nascar builders. without all the cheap nascar kits, we would not have the great chassises to use for road racers. :D

thanks for posting up chris.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok kinda suffering from lack of creativity modelers block and insufficient parts. So here are some minor updates. I still have a bunch of lines to run. Gonna put an order in for some Pro Tech line cause I don't have anything left to use. So it will be off to another project to be procrasstanated upon. Well here you go

set1740.jpg

set1741.jpg

set1742.jpg

set1744.jpg

set1745.jpg

To those that have mentioned the carb thing it has been rectified

simply amazing attention to detail chris. wonderful work.

...and bravo sir. that is what a dual feed fuel rail should look like. adds more to the realism. :unsure:

thanks for the updates. i will be following this build: hopefully it will not be put away for too long.

• 2 months later...

Well I made some significant progress since the last update. Car is painted, cleared and decaled. Two sets of decals were used on all the yellow. I need one more set for the red stripes on the bottom of the car. It is almost complete minus some decals, hood and trunk hinges, window straps and shocks, as well as some fuel lines that need to be ran in the trunk area. I have a contest coming up in about a month. I hope to have it finished by then. So here is what I have to date.

set11038.jpg

set11039.jpg

set11043.jpg