Model Cars Magazine Forum

My Holiest Grail

ismaelg

Hello,

This is IT. The holiest of Holy grails. The one and only. The kit built with my heart, not my hands. Most likely my favorite single car of all time. I was supposed to retire from the hobby after this one :)

This was finished last year. It is and will most likely always be my best and favorite build.

Can you feel I like it? :)

1957 Corvette SS

http://www.puertoriconet.com/images/SS/DSCF0002.JPG

http://www.puertoriconet.com/images/SS/DSCF0013.JPG

More pics here: https://race-car-models.proboards.com/thread/2569/best-model-1957-corvette-ss

I want to take better pics of this and write an article, so stay tuned.....

Thanks,

Edited by ismaelg

Great Job Ismael!

That's definitely a rare kit! Andy's website says that only about 150 were made.

I remember seeing the master at a MAMA meeting when Gary McNutt started on it.

He carved the body from balsa wood! He cut flat pieces of wood in the rough shapes and laminated them together. I have a photo around here somewhere, but I can't find it. That was probably 16 or 17 years ago!

Dave

Beautiful Job Ismael, and I dittto what Lee said! Can you imagine a plastic kit with all the aluminum bodywork and chassis understructure??

I have some photos of Chevrolet building that car back in '57..............It came from a Collectible Automobile issue years ago. It shows a LOT of detail from the engine, to the bodywork opened up showing all the trusses and structure underneath.

I remember seeing the master at a MAMA meeting when Gary McNutt started on it.

He carved the body from balsa wood! He cut flat pieces of wood in the rough shapes and laminated them together. I have a photo around here somewhere, but I can't find it. That was probably 16 or 17 years ago!

Dave

Dave,

I'd love to see the picture if you ever find it. Have you heard from Gary lately? I haven't heard from him in about a year.

Thanks,

Guys,....I was lucky enough to see this model in person last night at Ismael's house and it's real impressive as any model he had posted here through the time. I wish all you guys would be also lucky enough to see all of them in his place.

Nice piece of history Ismael!

Simon

Guys,....I was lucky enough to see this model in person last night at Ismael's house and it's real impressive as any model he had posted here through the time. I wish all you guys would be also lucky enough to see all of them in his place.

Nice piece of history Ismael!

Simon

Thanks buddy! Always a pleasure having you here. We should do it more often :D

Thanks,

• 4 years later...

Very nice work Ismael! You nailed the look of the real car. I hope you're kidding about retiring. It would be a shame to not be able to see your great work.