Model Cars Magazine Forum

94 GMC Sonoma - Turbo Street Truck

VictorSmalls

Hello everyone. I took about a 6 month break from models to work on some 1:1 cars and move across the state for work. At this point, I am working on a 66 427 Fairlane and this 94 Sonoma. The plans for the truck are to be a turbo six bagged street truck. So far I have scratch build a roll pan, shaved everything, and added the flares from the kit for a wider stance. Any advise is appreciated and I will be posting more pics of my progress.

Engine so far

100_0153.jpg

100_0154.jpg

Body in second coat of white base

100_0151.jpg

100_0150.jpg

Thanks for the inspiration guys.

Did the concept truck grill come with it too?

Thanks for the kind words guys.

The kit came with 2 grill setups. I do not have directions to this kit but I believe the grill I used along with the flairs are all for a 4WD version. They seem to suit this project well though.

• 5 months later...

i know this is an old bump, but i'd like to make a suggestion with the motor - that is if you're going for realism:

i would have both exhaust manifolds having a down pipe collecting at one point and then going into the turbo at the side facing the engine.

49178-01470_4.jpg

on this pic, the port in the very back at the 12 o'clock position is where you want any/all exhaust going in.

the port facing 1 o'clock is where you can feed a pipe to either an intercooler or straight to the intake manifold as you have right now. having it go to a front mounted intercooler would be a very nice touch. so, turbo - intercooler - intake manifold, should you decide to do that.

the last port facing the camera where you can see the compressor blades you want to have a pipe going to your air filter.

if you want to go for the ultra realistic you could attach a wastegate piece with the actuator arm, and run a vacuum line to a "blow off valve" on the intake pipe close to the intake manifold.

big%2016g.jpg the wastegate actuator is the brass piece with the rod going to the darker gray piece.

To hook into the exhaust, on the back of the turbo facing the wheel, you would want that to go to the rest of the exhaust pipe that goes to the back of the truck.

overall it's a nice build so far and i think it has potential.

now my question: where'd you get the turbo? lol

where did u get it and do they have an extended cab option? my buddy has a Chevy S-10, a rebadged Sonoma in exertior respects, that i want to build a replica of as his is bagged and body dropped and custom in almost every way. the only thing im picky about is the front as he has the upper and lower split headlights like ur current build, and not the single light unit.

Did the concept truck grill come with it too?

Yes Joe. I got one if you want it.

Thanks for the kind words guys.

The kit came with 2 grill setups. I do not have directions to this kit but I believe the grill I used along with the flairs are all for a 4WD version. They seem to suit this project well though.

It's not for a 4WD, it's for a street version/ chevy Extreme S10 look-a-like, I can scan my instructions if you need them, is this the SLS or the regular '94 GMC?

Anyway it looks kinda cool, wanna race mine when were both finished, not pinks, otherwise I'd lose my truck :)

Yes Joe. I got one if you want it.

It's not for a 4WD, it's for a street version/ chevy Extreme S10 look-a-like, I can scan my instructions if you need them, is this the SLS or the regular '94 GMC?

Anyway it looks kinda cool, wanna race mine when were both finished, not pinks, otherwise I'd lose my truck ;)

Nah, that's ok Nick, I just remember that grill and flair package from a 4wd GM Concept truck that was built 16 or 17 years ago to "forecast" the then upcoming S-Truck styling.

Dang, I'm suddenly feeling old, I was a high-school freshman or sophomore when that truck came out ;):D

Edited by Joe Handley