Model Cars Magazine Forum

Old Johan Rebuilds

purvissp

I have been busy lately rebuilding several older Johans. These were kits that my son and I built over 25 years ago. He was smart enough to hang onto them and he sent them to me to rebuild. It was nice to redo them and have some of the advantages of today's upgrades like BMF, Alclad and airbrush paint jobs.

These were very simple kits, but the exterior details were very good. Can't say much for the interiors or engine compartements.

62chrysler1.jpg

62chrysler2.jpg

62chrysler3.jpg

64caddy1.jpg

64caddy2.jpg

69roadrunner1.jpg

69roadrunner2.jpg

69roadrunner3.jpg

All of them look great! I really dig that Roadrunner since that's better than the one ERTL put out years ago........Especially body shape wise. 8)

Too bad some of those Johan molds are no longer around.............despite mediocre detail they DID have the best shaped bodies of the lot.

Here are a few photos of the Johan's before I started. They were really not too bad before I started, but a little freshing up sure helps them out.

johan1.jpg

johan6.jpg

johan8.jpg

And here they are all stripped and ready to go. Wow, was that a lot of stripping.

strip.jpg

I have the Road Runner, Cadillac and Chrysler completed. Still have a few more to go.

• 4 years later...

The last visit to the site by that member was Dec 13 2006!

Wonder how they turned out?

I was wondering the same thing.

And those cars were in pretty nice condition. If it was me, I would've left them alone. I'd like to see what happened.

Charlie Larkin